Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bakazings

Clarification on whether a roku remote can control the tv volume

My sister wants to control her tv power and volume with her roku remote. The remote that came with her roku express didn’t have volume controls so I told her she needed a remote with volume controls. She bought one and from what I can tell it’s the IR remote, not the RF remote. It has no pairing button or voice control. So can this remote control the tv? The instructions on the roku website are for the voice remotes. If it can’t what are the volume and power controls for?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Clarification on whether a roku remote can control the tv volume

She may have bought a remote for a Roku TV.  Does it have "Roku TV" printed on it or another brand like TCL, or onn, or something other than Roku?

Edit:  Someone in another post gave a link to generic Roku TV remotes on Amazon.  She may have bought one of those.   They won't work with a stand-alone Roku device.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
MilesT
Roku Guru

Re: Clarification on whether a roku remote can control the tv volume

Roku Voice Remote Pro or Oneforall 7935 are the best options. (Oneforall is IR tech and won't work with Roku sticks).

Some Roku-ish IR clones with volume/power may work for some TV brands but are hit and miss, even if they claim learning mode. (Not sticks)

Onn - Roku branded IR remote (not Onn Roku TV) model RC-ELIR also works but can only be bought second hand (or new old stock) and is quite rare. (Also does not work with sticks).

Not a Roku employee
0 Kudos