Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Susie725

Can a Roku remote be used on a smart TV or does it have to be a Roku TV

Can a Roku remote be used on a smart TV or do I have to have a Roku TV or Roku box

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Strega
Roku Guru

Re: Can a Roku remote be used on a smart TV or does it have to be a Roku TV

Roku remotes can be used with non-roku TVs as far as the “TV controls” are concerned – that is to say, power, volume, mute can be programmed for most TVs.  However, don’t expect buttons like pause and arrows to do anything to the TV.  Those are for the roku player.  You probably want to shop for some kind of universal remote.

0 Kudos
Susie725

Thank you for your time. I have a Roku box on another TV (old) flat screen and the ease of the remote has been so great. I bought a Roku remote that is compatible with all Roku TV 's mine is a smart TV  I thought it was buying a Roku TV but it's not. Can I use the new remote on my smart TV wireless from my Roku box.i can't remember which one it is but I think 4 or 5 devices can be used with it. I don't have anything except the TV I bought it for. I hate the remote that came with my smart TV. Can I use the new Roku remote for my smart TV. Like run it off my Roku box some how because of it's multiple device capability 

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

If you have a remote that advertises that 4 or 5 devices can be used with it, then that is probably a universal remote of some brand, not a Roku brand remote.

0 Kudos
Susie725

No not my remote. My Roku box is an updated one and it can be used for other devices... My question is can I use the capability of the box to use for a non Roku TV. I bought a Roku brand remote that is compatible with all Roku TVs. I want to know can I use the box capability that can be used for a for more than one device.can I link my new Roku remote as a device to control my smart TV 

0 Kudos
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

@Susie725 I am a little confused by what you are trying to do, so I will try to give some general information.   You can use a Roku device (Express, Stick, etc...) on any TV with an HDMI port.  You can program a Roku Voice Remote to control the volume and turn a non-Roku TV off and on.  Roku remotes that are compatible with all brands of Roku TVs are not programmable and cannot be used with non Roku smart TVs.  So if I understand your question you cannot use your Roku remote for your smart TV.  It would be helpful if you could provide us the model number of your current Roku box and the brand and operating system of your new TV.  For example is it a TCL Fire TV, an Insignia Fire TV, a TCL Google TV

0 Kudos

@HDMIGuyI believe you answered @Susie725 question, but it's not what we wanted to hear.

I've been using a StreamingStick+ on an older TV for years and very happy with it ... and have grown accustomed to the Roku remote. I recently purchased an LG smart TV that I'm going to try to NOT use the StreamingStick on but use the built-in apps/channels/functions that come with the TV. .. but would still like to use the Roku remote on this new TV.

I've tried pairing the Roku remote to the LG smart TV with no luck.

Hopefully this explains what I and @Susie725 are trying to do. If you have any suggestions on how to get the Roku remote to work (where I have failed), Please let us know.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

@moconnor6105

Sorry but no, your streaming stick wifi remote will not control anything but tv power and volume.

There might be chance, if you were to purchase Hisense Roku tv IR remote from ebay, it uses the old LG code set. Look for a Hisense Roku remote with a crescent moon key, only IR remotes have that sleep timer key.

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

@Tivoburkee@moconnor6105If the Hisense Roku TV remote did work you would still have the LG smart TV interface and not the Roku interface. Is it the Roku remote you like or both the Roku remote and the Roku interface? To have the Roku interface you will need a Roku device.

0 Kudos