Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Y2JAPA
Reel Rookie

Can Roku Ultra Remote Turn on TV and control volume on surround receiver both via I/R

Hi,

I have a Roku 4 connected to the TV and an optical cable connected to the surround sound receiver. With the current setup the TV remote is used to turn on the TV, the receiver remote used to control volume and Roku remote used to control Roku. Can the Ultra remote be programmed to turn on the TV via the power button and programmed to adjust the volume on the receiver?  Samsung TV, Roku 4, Onkyo TX-nr535.

Thanks!

Note: this setup is because I have an in-wall HDMI cable that stopped working for anything but the Roku. Therefore I'm limited on options without replacing the HDMi cable and tearing apart the drywall.

0 Kudos
20 REPLIES 20
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Can Roku Ultra Remote Turn on TV and control volume on surround receiver both via I/R

No, the Roku remote only controls tv via IR. Then it's up to the TV to control the av receiver via hdmi-cec. Sorry.

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos

Re: Can Roku Ultra Remote Turn on TV and control volume on surround receiver both via I/R

No

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Y2JAPA wrote:

Can the Ultra remote be programmed to turn on the TV via the power button and programmed to adjust the volume on the receiver?  Samsung TV, Roku 4, Onkyo TX-nr535.

To use the Roku remote to control the Receiver volume:

Enter the Roku Platform menu: Home button 5 times, FF, pause/play, RW, pause/play, FF

At the RF remote IR transmit menu choose to enable querying AVR's (instead of TV's).

It's either/or, control either the TV or the AVR. I'm controlling an old pre-HDMI Onkyo receiver volume, but it fails to control the On/Off. Maybe you'll have better luck, I have found several different Onkyo codes that work my volume and mute functions, just not the On/Off.

AngelSix
Channel Surfer

I appreciate your sharing this info. I want to use my new Roku Ultra with a Denon receiver.  Could you tell us where you found the information on that key combination to get the Roku into Roku Platform menu?  And, where should we can we look up codes for our AVR's to work with the Roku receiver/remote?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AngelSix wrote:

I appreciate your sharing this info. I want to use my new Roku Ultra with a Denon receiver.  Could you tell us where you found the information on that key combination to get the Roku into Roku Platform menu?  And, where should we can we look up codes for our AVR's to work with the Roku receiver/remote?

I just searched the web for Roku secret menu. An example:

https://lifehacker.com/all-the-roku-secret-commands-and-menus-in-one-graphic-1779010902

Enter the platform menu; select the RF Remote Menu; select the IR transmit menu; select Enable Querying AVRs (instead of TVs)

Exit the secret menu and return to the regular home screen

select Settings,  Remotes and devices, Remote, Set up remote for TV control

Ignore the note regarding the remote being unable to control AVRs and type in your brand of AVR. 

Follow the instructions until you've verified the remote is controlling your AVR.

0 Kudos
Y2JAPA
Reel Rookie

Does this work with a Roku 4 and Ultra remote?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Y2JAPA wrote:

Does this work with a Roku 4 and Ultra remote?

It works with a Roku Ultra, which is the question in your subject line. But I didn't pay attention to the Roku 4 that you mention, which is discontinued, so I really can't speak to that.

0 Kudos

That worked! I'm now able to control the volume on my Denon AVR from my Roku remote! Thank you! You're awesome!

russpalmeri
Reel Rookie

I struggled a bit. But finally I connected the Roku to my pioneer receiver via HDMI. It seems the Roku Ultra automatically detected the type of receiver as it did the TV. Followed the instructions above. And then reconnected it using my optical audio connection so I could still get surroundsound. So convenient! Thank you very much.

0 Kudos