Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AtomicWaffle7
Reel Rookie

Re: Micro SD card (Roku 2GB) causes Remote to stop worrking

Woohoo! Hopefully you'll be able to use the remote normally now. If not, the instructions posted by RP9 worked for me. Maybe they would would work for you as well.

0 Kudos
ejsiljen24

Re: Added SD Card - Remote no longer works

Pull the SD card out, then pull the power cord to restart the Roku. Once the Roku fully restarts, then put the SD card back in. Use the Roku app in your phone to do a system restart from the settings menu on the Roku. Your IR remote should then work again. 

RkGy
Channel Surfer

I wanted to update everyone. I finally went to the Roku store and got the 'official' microSD card. It was 4.99 so not bad... would have been much cheaper just to buy this one in the first place. Anyway it worked immediately when I installed it. Zero issues. 

You all are great thanks for all the help and suggestions. 

l33tg00se

This worked perfectly for me as I have a universal TV remote as well! Thank you!

0 Kudos
lredsel

ejsiljen24  method worked for me.  32 gb card.  I have an IR remote and the type with the pairing button.  Only the IR remote had stopped.   This worked great.

Format SD card using app or other remote.  Power off, remove sd card.  Power on.  Wait 1 minute for boot up. Insert SD card and plug in HDMI.

Use app or 2nd remote to do a system restart.  IR remote should now work.

0 Kudos
Xxcustomer

Obviously still a problem with still no fix from Roku.
 Fortunately I bought a fire stick when Roku didn’t have HBOMax.  Works great so I will replace all my old POS Roku’s with these.   Maybe a good stock to short....

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@Xxcustomer Roku has eliminated the SD card slot on all models of Roku. In the grand scheme of things, it really isn't needed. It only serves as additional channel storage space, and does nothing to improve the performance of the player. You didn't state what model Roku you have, so I can't look up the specific data for your player. But unless you constantly use dozens of different channels each day, it's of no benefit. You can't play media from them, and it won't make the system perform any better. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
RP9
Streaming Star

I agree, find another solution besides Roku as they don't give support. The Micro SD card never did speed up the loading of the Roku app, and it's only getting worse.  Me, I have on order a new Samsung smart TV which carries all the streaming apps that I use. So no more need of a streaming device to attach to my TV.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

I've given up on Samsung. Find my LG has a much better image for a comparable set. But I don't bother with the apps within any of my smart TVs, other than the Roku TVs. Either the TV versions don't work as well, or they simply don't have an app I'd like. But mostly they are universally terrible for playing local media. The user interface is next to useless, less caption support than even a Roku or Fire TV has, and none will stream lossless audio like my Shield can. But even for the Internet providers, I much prefer a Roku or Shield over the TV apps. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
RP9
Streaming Star

The moment I posted that previous comment I knew I should have left the TV brand out of it. Everybody has their favorites and reasons for that. The latest Samsung Teizen OS is supposed to be very good, I'll see. The point is I cannot continue to work with Roku when they are in a pissing contest with my TV provider Spectrum and app fees. As a result the app takes longer and longer and longer to load and the glitches pile up. That won't be the case with the Samsung or other smart TV OS (at least in theory), and hence my move to a smart TV. It was time for an upgrade anyways. Cheers everyone.

0 Kudos