Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Strega
Roku Guru

Re: Accessing Channels without having to scroll through 300 channels...

@kat5374 wrote:

I don't buy a TV and research the remote as part of my buying experience! 

When my parents were in their 80's they bought a TV without paying any attention to the remote.  What they got was an "air mouse" remote.  Ie: you waved it in the air and that caused the movement of a cursor on the screen and then you clicked the only button.   But the system was super-sensitive – every little tremble in an 80+ year old arm would send the cursor 4 inches, and the UI consisted of little half-inch targets that you had to hit!  They'd invite me over just to change channels or inputs!  Smiley Happy (And even I found it a struggle.)

You HAVE to spend quality time checking out the remote when buying a TV (unless you plan to integrate it into a system where the TV remote won't be used at all – then you have to make sure you have compatible control codes.) 

If over the air TV is important to you, you might prefer a generic TV (the "dumber" the better in my opinion) with one or more devices such as Rokus attached.

TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

@StregaGood reply. The thing people see first is price. A TCL Roku TV or an ONN Roku TV (entry level) can be purchased for $100-300. That’s all people see. What they don’t understand is the term “Roku”. I bought a 32” 1080p TCL Roku TV for my master bedroom. It was only $200. Hard to beat that price. But it’s perfect. I watch my YouTube TV and other channels. But in my living room I have a 65” 4K HDR TCL Roku TV. 

0 Kudos
Benedlr
Roku Guru

Use the >> and << to blast up or down thru the menu. The circle/arrow button returns you to the previously viewed program.

AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@kat5374 

Good advice from @Benedlr instructions on how to quickly scroll (using the fast forward/rewind buttons when on a channel number, and using the circular arrow/instant replay button to toggle to previous channel).

There are a couple of ways with RokuTVs to organize the Channels (both antenna/OTA and Streaming)

1. Remove the Streaming Channels from showing while in Antenna/OTA guide. (Settings..TV Inputs..LiveTV...Manage Channels..Enable/Check box to "Hide All Streaming Channels"

The above procedure will now only show you the Antenna/OTA channels when on Antenna Input.  You can now only access the Streaming Channels from within Roku Channel LiveTV.

2. Roku 10.5 OS has now added a "Manage Channels" feature to both the Antenna and the Roku Channel Live TVStreaming Channels.  Basically just navigate to which ever Guide you are interested in managing, navigate to the channel number all the way to the left and press the * button (Options button), and you should see a menu of Channel Options that include Favorite, Hide, Manage, Filter, and Close/Exit.

The above procedure is how you hide Channels and create Favorites in order to get your Guide a little more organized and manageable.  This is again, available for both Antenna and Roku Channel Live TV Streaming Channels. (https://support.roku.com/article/4420557730839)

-------

As for the navigating of the channels, go all the way to the left of the Guide and use the FF and REW buttons to scroll up or down quickly (will jump about 4 channels at a time).  As mentioned by @Benedlr , the Instant Replay button is used as a Previous Channel button. (You have to basically switch between the two first though before it can be used)

Hope that helps you a bit.  Post back if you need more help.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Streaming Star

^THIS msg above is indeed the best possible answer that I am aware of. 

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

@AvsGunnar the original poster @kat5374  needs a remote with channel numbers. They don’t want to scroll. 

0 Kudos
Streaming Star

Yeah, I get it.  Hope they find a compatible one for their TV on Amazon or somewhere else.  It was a nightmare to find one with numbers that actually worked throughout all my apps and tv features.  

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

@948493  He clearly bought the wrong TV. He was attracted to the price. But he hasn’t come back to comment. Case closed 

0 Kudos
Streaming Star

That’s a little tough for a lot of  people to fix after the fact…. Especially if they cannot move a large tv by themselves. I have Roku TVs and like them.  I did not have any prior experience, but was able to adapt and overcome most issues.  However, I am relatively young, adapt easily to tech, and could easily return a large tv on my own.  That can’t be said for a lot of folks that buy these things. Telling someone they screwed up is just beating a dead horse most of the time.  

TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

@948493  Not really. If you read he never did his research. He just bought it. I never ever buy a tv, car, smartphone, computer, camera and more without doing some research and comparisons. We don’t know what size the TV is either. But even if it’s a 50” those only weigh like 40 lbs or less. If a store delivered it they will at times pick it up. If not I’m sure family or friends can help return it. But like everything in life “buyer beware”. Before I cut the cord I spent about 2 months doing my research. Before I bought my Audi S4 I did my research for months. Before I spent $700 on a TCL Roku TV I did my research. Before I bought my iPhone 13 Pro I did my research. 

Plain and simple. Roku devices are appealing to a lot cause of the lower costs. Just like there are tons of people complaining about the Roku Express not connecting to there WiFi. But the base model Express isn’t dual band. They bought the cheapest model based on the price and not the features. Millions of people do this every day. They see something they like. They buy and when it doesn’t perform like it should they get upset. 

0 Kudos