Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rwp
Level 7

voice command mute

I have a steaming stick + connected to a samsung tv. I'm testing roku with the PBS app and Sling. Of course there is no mute button.  For both, when I hold the voice command button and say "mute", messages appear on the screen ending with "Toggled Mute" but the TV is NOT muted.  Interesting that while the command is running the sound is muted but sound comes back when the command ends.  Voice command for closed captioning works great.

I wasted a lot of time with support.  It's off shore support so I did a chat to avoid accent and language issues.  After an hour or so, the rep seemed to understand the issue but was clueless and gave a BS answer that he couldn't explain.

Any ideas before I write off roku?  With no way to get meaningful support and no way to mute, that's what I'm ready to do.

7 Replies
Tivoburkee
Level 21

Re: voice command mute

You can now buy Roku wifi remote with mute key at Walmart, Best Buy, and on-line at Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Roku-RCAL7R-Voice-Remote-New/dp/B07WVFCKSS/ref=pd_ybh_a_15?_encoding=UTF8&psc...

Edmund
0 Kudos
sarakilpa
Level 8

I also cannot control the mute function or volume up/down with the voice command feature. I'm hoping if more people have this problem it'll grab their attention for a possible solution. For now I at least have the volume control buttons on the Roku remote (I have streaming stick +).

0 Kudos
sarakilpa
Level 8

And to be clear...it does say "toggling mute" specifically when I try to voice command it. But then nothing happens, just like you said.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Level 21

You're using a voice remote on non-tv roku right? Well the voice remote only controls roku commands, it does not control regular tv. If it were a true Roku tv, you could then use the voice commands to mute, raise and lower the volume, but not on a regular tv, sorry. Current voice remotes can be programmed to control non-roku tv by IR, but not by voice command.

Edmund
sarakilpa
Level 8

Ohhh, yea it's a Samsung not Roku TV. I thought since the remote could control it, the voice commands also could. That makes sense.

0 Kudos
cfillio
Level 7

I'd like to re-pose the question to Roku/Community support.  I have the same issue with the 'mute' voice command not working, I have a old Panasonic TV using a Roku 3800R.

The odd notation is that all the other voice prompts/commands work fine, only the 'mute' command does not.

Like the original post, when I say the command, the TV goes mute for 3-5 seconds, displays the message 'Toggling mute', and then the sound returns.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Level 21

So roku uses the same OS for voice search on both Roku's and roku tv's, it doesn't know if there is a mute built-in like the roku tv has, but it finds out and nothing happens as in the case of your 3800 stick. Your mute is separated from the stick by hdmi cable its not in the same chassis like roku tv.

If the roku remote weren't controlling the tv mute by IR as your 3800 remote is but instead controlling the tv controls via hdmi-cec, then the mute command would be a roku command which roku stick picks up and initiates cec signal over the hdmi cable. Then the voice command would work in that instance, but of course you can't switch from IR to hdmi-cec control on roku. Its either one or the other. 

Edmund
0 Kudos