Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rothfam5
Level 7

streaming stick remote

How do i unsync my Roku remote from my TV? And unsync my cable box remote from the Roku?
When i did the Roku setup, it also synced my cable remote to the Roku stick. Now when i turn on the cable box, (which also turns on the TV at the same time) it turns on the Roku stick and the TV displays the Roku screen. I don't want that. i want the TV to display the cable feed.
Help please!
Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Basil
Level 10

Re: streaming stick remote

Press and hold the button under the battery compartment until it starts flashing. That will completely unpair the remote. The Roku will then need to and try to re-pair with the remote.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
rothfam5
Level 7

no help. Thanks, though.
I also tried this: With the Roku device plugged into a wall adapter for uninterrupted power, i hit the button you mention, then quickly turned off the TV with the TV dedicated remote. That somehow unpaired the remote from the roku device, but kept the remote paired with the TV. Thought maybe with the TV off, the remote would see it and not pair to it.
I also tried the remote reset button with the device powered off, but the green light flashed continuously until the device is power up again.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

What Roku do you have? And you say that pressing and holding the pairing button underneath the battery cover, holding it until the light starts flashing, did NOT unpair the remote? Because it certainly does for me. That's why I'm wondering which Roku you have.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
rothfam5
Level 7

i have the streaming stick black - $50 one.
It does unpair it but after 3-4 green light blinks a dialog window appears and it re-pairs it.That's when i about do the tricks i mentioned earlier.
Thanks for the help!
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Level 14

Sounds like you need to turn off the hdmi cec in the tv menu. If you want to stop devices from communicating with each other.
0 Kudos
rothfam5
Level 7

that wouldn't help. I've been leaving the Roku device unplugged from the HDMI portso it doesn't turn on when i turn on the TV. With it unplugged, the roku remote can still control the TV.
0 Kudos
rothfam5
Level 7

ah, i see what you mean. If the CEC is turned off, the Roku won't automatically switch the TV to display the Roku. but then the Roku will be powered anytime the tv is on, which shouldn't' be a big deal?
0 Kudos