Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kath1
Level 7

standard remote for Roku Premiere not working (brand new)

HI, I have a brand new Roku Premiere, got as a gift, so no receipt.  The remote is not working. I have switched batteries, moved the device, moved the remote up, down, etc; no joy. Pretty sure the remote is not sending out any IR. Any ideas anyone?

kath

0 Kudos
10 Replies
atc98092
Level 21

Re: standard remote for Roku Premiere not working (brand new)

As you note, that is an IR remote. The easiest way to determine if it's working is to aim a digital camera at the nose of the remote and watch for a flashing light when a button is pressed. I just tried it with my iPhone XR and the remote for my Sharp Roku TV, and the phone camera did show the flashing light. 

If the remote is working, then you need to make sure you have a clear line of sight between the remote and the face of the Premiere. It doesn't take much of an obstruction to block the IR signal. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Frittata
Level 7

I have the same issue with my new Premiere Roku (3920). In setting up, I got to the screen with select language. Got no response from remote. Tried everything suggested by Roku Support, including testing the remote IR using my cellphone and no indication of life in remote. Sounds like I should return/exchange to Prime? Will I have better luck with different model? Don't want to spend any more than I have. (My two 10 year+ legacy remotes work perfectly but had to move away during pandemic so cannot use them). Thank you!

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

@Frittata wrote:

I have the same issue with my new Premiere Roku (3920). In setting up, I got to the screen with select language. Got no response from remote. Tried everything suggested by Roku Support, including testing the remote IR using my cellphone and no indication of life in remote. Sounds like I should return/exchange to Prime? Will I have better luck with different model? Don't want to spend any more than I have. (My two 10 year+ legacy remotes work perfectly but had to move away during pandemic so cannot use them). Thank you!

Yeah, if it fails the camera test it's likely defective. Just as a check, make sure the batteries are installed in the correct orientation. Some remotes they alternate, while others are in the same direction. Can't hurt to double-check. If that's not it, yes I would replace it. But there's no general problem with Roku remotes, so I wouldn't be too concerned with the next one working.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Frittata
Level 7

Thank you, Dan. I doublechecked, and batteries are installed properly. Will exchange.

0 Kudos
rdyck
Level 7

I hope you don't mind if I ask a related question on your thread...The remote for my 3 year old ROKU Premiere + stopped working.  For a few months it has been intermittent but three days ago it quit completely. Tried new batteries and I followed the recommended steps but nothing works...the pairing light does not come on with new batteries. I just got the phone app so I can still stream some shows but I would like to know how do I contact Roku to buy another remote device? I tried to find an email address or phone number on the ROKU website but I couldn't find one.

Thanks

Rudy Dyck

Lanark Highlands, ON, CA

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Level 20

You can try your local walmart or best buy for the Voice remote, model RC-AL7R. On the Roku site this remote is listed in two places under streaming devices its sold out, but the same remote is sold under Roku tv and its in stock:

https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/roku-tv

Edmund
0 Kudos
rdyck
Level 7

Hey thanks for the reply. When I click on the link you posted I don't go to an accessories page.

The website I get directed to is https://www.roku.com/en-ca/    (maybe because I live in Canada)

I browsed around a few times but don't see any accessories page?

I guess I'll contact Walmart or Best Buy if I can't get onto your accessories page.

Cheer!!

Rudy

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Level 20

I thought it was California, not Canada.Smiley Happy You can try amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Roku-RCAL7R-Voice-Remote-New/dp/B07WVFCKSS/ref=pd_rhf_sc_p_img_4?_encoding=UT...

Edmund
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

@rdyck wrote:

I hope you don't mind if I ask a related question on your thread...The remote for my 3 year old ROKU Premiere + stopped working.  For a few months it has been intermittent but three days ago it quit completely. Tried new batteries and I followed the recommended steps but nothing works...the pairing light does not come on with new batteries. I just got the phone app so I can still stream some shows but I would like to know how do I contact Roku to buy another remote device? I tried to find an email address or phone number on the ROKU website but I couldn't find one.

Thanks

A simple, and some might feel a dumb question. But not all Roku remotes have their batteries installed the same way. Some are opposite (one battery is + up and the other is - up) while others have the batteries oriented in the same direction. Are you certain the batteries are installed accurately?

If they are right, then test the remote by looking through the camera on a phone, and look for a flashing light when you press a button on the remote. No flashing light, then the IR blaster isn't working. Most likely the remote has failed. 

I tried going to the Canadian Roku web site, and it does appear they don't have an Accessories section. That seems strange. When I clicked on devices, it took me to a blank page, but that might be because I'm in the US. Send a private message here to @RokuDanny-R or @RokuTannerD and they can probably get you hooked back up. 

Dan
0 Kudos