Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nunashu
Channel Surfer

simple remote won't pair with Ultra

Jump to solution

After moving several times and trying to sort through electronics bag, I located our Ultra and a simple remote.  The Roku hooked up but the remote won't pair.  Do I need a voice remote? If so, how do you buy one? I can't find any help on the Roku web site.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: simple remote won't pair with Ultra

Jump to solution

No, older ultra's came with the remote you have, originally the volume keys were only for the headphone jack. But after update it could control the tv volume by cec, only certain models and brands of tv.

If it's not paired to your ultra it has to be, unplug the power from the ultra for a bit, plug it back in and after it stops bouncing press and hold the pairing key in the battery compartment for 3 seconds and release let it communicate with ultra don't press a key until you get a confirmation it's paired on screen.

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

A simple roku remote should just work, it needs a line of sight to the front of the roku ultra. Does this remote have tv power or volume keys? Then its roku tv IR remote and is worthless on the roku ultra's. 

Edmund

Nunashu
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

This simple remote has volume controls on the side, but no TV power key

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

Does it have a headphone jack on the side? If it does this is not simple roku remote and its wifi roku remote and there should be a pairing button in the battery compartment. 

Roku made only one stand alone roku IR remote with volume keys, this was the Onn roku remote included with the Onn smart roku soundbar. The volume keys had cec commands preset, that coludn't be reprogrammed over. 

Edmund

Nunashu
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

It does have a headphone jack.  So, I have a Roku Ultra and this is the WRONG remote, right? How can I get a replacement remote?  I find nothing on their website. 

@Tivoburkee wrote:

Does it have a headphone jack on the side? If it does this is not simple roku remote and its wifi roku remote and there should be a pairing button in the battery compartment. 

Roku made only one stand alone roku IR remote with volume keys, this was the Onn roku remote included with the Onn smart roku soundbar. The volume keys had cec commands preset, that coludn't be reprogrammed over. 

It does have a headphone jack.  So, I have a Roku Ultra and this is the WRONG remote, right? How can I get a replacement remote?  I find nothing on their website. 

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

No, older ultra's came with the remote you have, originally the volume keys were only for the headphone jack. But after update it could control the tv volume by cec, only certain models and brands of tv.

If it's not paired to your ultra it has to be, unplug the power from the ultra for a bit, plug it back in and after it stops bouncing press and hold the pairing key in the battery compartment for 3 seconds and release let it communicate with ultra don't press a key until you get a confirmation it's paired on screen.

Edmund

0 Kudos
Nunashu
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@Tivoburkee wrote:

I thought surely that would work, but it didn't. Bouncing stopped; pressed the battery compartment button, circling "pairing with voice remote" came up... and then "not connected." Perhaps that means it originally had a voice remote?  Again, where can I get a replacement???

0 Kudos
Nunashu
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@Nunashu wrote:

@Tivoburkee wrote:

I thought surely that would work, but it didn't. Bouncing stopped; pressed the battery compartment button, circling "pairing with voice remote" came up... and then "not connected." Perhaps that means it originally had a voice remote?  Again, where can I get a replacement???

@Nunashu wrote:

@Tivoburkee wrote:

IT"S WORKING!!! Your solution worked!! Thank you!

0 Kudos