Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: roku without remote

@Stevet157 

Thanks for the inquiry.

What model of streaming stick do you have?

Please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, include the device model and serial number of the Roku from Settings>System>About. I'll have a member of our Support team follow up to further assist you.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

@Kenzecain456 wrote:
How do u use your phone app Roku remote if your Roku is reset

Unfortunately, the only way to use the app to control a Roku is if they are both connected to the same network. So any WiFi only Roku must be connected before the app can see it. Which means if you can't find your Roku remote, you're stuck. 

Note that all Roku players other than the Stick models also support infrared (IR) remotes. So you can go to many stores and find a generic IR remote that offers Roku support and use that. But if you have a Stick, there's nothing you can do if you don't have the Roku remote. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Stevet157
Level 7

That would be my question too.  If it's reset, there isn't a network that the phone app can match, therefore the phone app won't connect to the Roku and you can't get into the Roku program to reset the network to the actual network name and password. 

The fact that you can't do anything with a Roku without having the remote makes it much less worth having.   I'm not sure if other sticks ore streaming devices have this problem fixed or not.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

@Stevet157 wrote:

That would be my question too.  If it's reset, there isn't a network that the phone app can match, therefore the phone app won't connect to the Roku and you can't get into the Roku program to reset the network to the actual network name and password. 

The fact that you can't do anything with a Roku without having the remote makes it much less worth having.   I'm not sure if other sticks ore streaming devices have this problem fixed or not.

Any device that is WiFi only will have the same issue. Unless it also supports an IR remote, you are dead in the water without a functioning remote. For Roku devices, other than the Sticks they all support IR, so it's possible to use an inexpensive generic IR remote. I don't know if all Rokus use the same IR codes, but my Sharp Roku TV also responds to the remote for my Vizio TVs, so someone might even have a remote handy to try. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Level 12

You can now go to walmart or best buy and buy a wifi remote in store, or get it from amazon. This remote the rc-al7 can be paired to roku consoles, sticks, or even Roku tvs. And it has a mute key. Now priced again at $19.88. At least at walmart & amazon, best buy has it priced at $29.99.

0 Kudos
Stevet157
Level 7

Thanks.  I ended up buying a new Roku device for under $30, instead of the $29 remote for my existing device at BestBuy (Walmart of course didn't have them in stock).

But still, there should be a way to get into your Roku when you don't have a remote and are on a strange network.   I left home for vacation, and from the condo in another state wanted to watch my programs!  But I could not do that because I could not get the Roku stick to talk to my phone Roku app.   So there should be a better way.

0 Kudos