Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
oaraba
Level 7

Re: roku without remote

I took a trip (currently on that trip) and I’d forgotten my roku remote control. What to do, what to do...refusing to give up I scoured the internet looking for a solution. I downloaded a roku app but the app didn’t work because my iPhone and the roku were on different networks. My roku was on my home WiFi network and my iPhone was on my vacation WiFi network. Solution: jls624! Shout out to you! Your easy to follow, step by step instructions were on point and most importantly effective. I had my Roku working in less than 10 minutes! I’ve bookmarked these instructions so that I always have them in the event I ever forget my remote control, which I doubt. Hopefully I don’t forget the Roku itself ha. Thanks jls624!
0 Kudos
rnpasfga
Level 7

I just downloaded "Infrared remote for roku" from the play store. It has a purple tv graphic. And it worked like a charm, other than of course having to be pointed straight at the device. I was able to then update my wireless network using it Smiley Happy.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

"rnpasfga" wrote:
I just downloaded "Infrared remote for roku" from the play store. It has a purple tv graphic. And it worked like a charm, other than of course having to be pointed straight at the device. I was able to then update my wireless network using it Smiley Happy.

Only works with Android devices that have an IR transmitter.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
mellowmanic
Level 7

"trekkinsey" wrote:
I too forgot my roku remote at home, but still felt confident that my Roku app would not fail me.  Nope!   Two hours later, searching the internet and trying everything, but nothing came close.  Then, bam!  Mobile Hotspot!....Please, please let me rename it...YES!  Success.

If your phone has mobile hotspot, you are in luck.  You can clone your home network.  (if you don't know the exact name of your network, your phone does).  Now you can use the moble roku app to control your roku to change the network settings to the new network.  Turn off the hotspot.  Reconnect your phone to the new network.  Reload the Roku app.

Perfect - worked like a dream.  You saved me a trip to Walmart - and admitting to my mom that I went to Walmart.
0 Kudos
Grstfam
Level 7

Trekkinsey your solution worked perfectly. We had 2 phones. We had a new router and no remotes. My son set his phone up as the hotspot using the
old router name and password. He could not control the roku though. I logged in using my wifi settings to log into his phone that was mimicking the old router. Using the mobile app, I was able to get into the roku settings and change the network name and password to access the new router. Thank you thank you thank you thank you.
0 Kudos
Janey345
Level 7

Oh boy, it took me a while being a non-techie, but I got it!  Like everyone I used my phone as a mobile hotspot but it couldn’t find the roku, but I used my ipad, connected it to the hotspot and it found the roku.  Thanks to everyone for instructions.
Just a point, may be simple, but I no one said precisely how to add the new network at the end - well once you’re connected to the hotspot, you use the remoste app and the TV on to scroll through roku to settings and add network.  That’s all I have to add.  Phew!
0 Kudos
daash180
Level 7

My situation, Roku 3 went on vacation with me.  Signed into the rental house wifi and all worked well.  Upon leaving the rental I sadly left the remote.  Once I returned home and hooked up Roku I realized the remote was no longer available, tried to bring up the iphone roku app but could not connect since the Roku 3 was looking for the wrong network (rental house).  Finally, about to give up, I attached Roku 3 to ethernet on my router and did a hard reset.  When it rebooted the iphone roku app worked and I could reconfigure Roku 3 to my network.  Then I could connect to reset the wifi and all works fine. iphone app now is the remote for the bedroom Roku 3.  Also serves as additional remote for living room Roku TV. 
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

"daash180" wrote:
My situation, Roku 3 went on vacation with me.  Signed into the rental house wifi and all worked well.  Upon leaving the rental I sadly left the remote.  Once I returned home and hooked up Roku I realized the remote was no longer available, tried to bring up the iphone roku app but could not connect since the Roku 3 was looking for the wrong network (rental house).  Finally, about to give up, I attached Roku 3 to ethernet on my router and did a hard reset.  When it rebooted the iphone roku app worked and I could reconfigure Roku 3 to my network.  Then I could connect to reset the wifi and all works fine. iphone app now is the remote for the bedroom Roku 3.  Also serves as additional remote for living room Roku TV. 

You shouldn't have needed to do a hard reset. If you have an Ethernet connection when the Roku is powered up it should use that by default, at least in my experience. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Stevet157
Level 7

So, since I have. Roku stick, without the remote, and for some reason it won't connect to my cloned hotspot network with my home network name and password(I don't know why, I know the name and password are correct and I just unhooked the Roku stick from the home network yesterday.) and I don't have a wired ethernet available, this Roku stuck is a no go for me. Is that correct?
0 Kudos
Kenzecain456
Level 7

How do u use your phone app Roku remote if your Roku is reset
0 Kudos