Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RickRansom
Level 8

Re: roku without remote

"jc924" wrote:
I downloaded an android remote app but it won't work. In order for it to work, it has to find the Roku on the network, but to get the Roku to sign in to the network, you need a remote to go to Settings. Any ideas?

If you remember the exact wireless settings in your original router, apply those configurations to the new router[where you're at right now] and hopefully the roku will connect to it.
Reference: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=51165&p=347377#p347280
Retired
- Now works at Riot Games
0 Kudos
trekkinsey
Level 7

I too forgot my roku remote at home, but still felt confident that my Roku app would not fail me. Nope! Two hours later, searching the internet and trying everything, but nothing came close. Then, bam! Mobile Hotspot!....Please, please let me rename it...YES! Success.

If your phone has mobile hotspot, you are in luck. You can clone your home network. (if you don't know the exact name of your network, your phone does). Now you can use the moble roku app to control your roku to change the network settings to the new network. Turn off the hotspot. Reconnect your phone to the new network. Reload the Roku app.
0 Kudos
johnsnider70
Level 7

Trekkinsey, I've been trying to follow your instructions but I don't understand. Can you add more detail? I don't have a roku remote and my roku doesn't have ethernet port. Roku needs to be set up to wifi but I can't do initial set up without remote. I have iPhone 6 with mobile hotspot. You are saying if I clone my home network that roku usually connects to (just rename mobile hotspot the same thing my home network is called) then I will be able to control roku with the mobile app? If I turn on mobile hotspot and go to roku app, the roku still isn't connected. What am I missing? Thank you!
0 Kudos
kc8pql
Level 7

^ His box has already been set up on his home network. Basically, he renamed the hotspot be the same as his home network.
The box sees that name and connects.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
0 Kudos
diggs9
Level 7

I had same issue. Have a Galaxy S4 and downloaded IR remote app from playstore. Did a search for other devices, typed ROKU as manufacture, clicked unknown device, and selection #2 (I have a Roku 3). Worked like a charm.
0 Kudos
pjm0512
Level 7

I know this is a relatively old forum, so please forgive me, however I found a free and quite easy way to get around this problem.

Basically, I went to Spain, and took the Roku Streaming Stick without remote, only to discover my mistake when I tried to set it up. After searching the Internet, I gave in and decided to buy a remote - only to have a sudden brainwave. I have an iPhone, and turned my wifi off, and connected mobile data (4g, Data Roaming etc.). I changed my phone name to the name of my router at home that the Roku automatically connects to - making sure to include all Caps etc. I turned on the Private Hotspot, and then I changed the password of the hotspot to the same it is at home. It is automatically set at WEP2, so just like the majority of all WiFi routers. I disconnected my phone from the hotel wifi, so it received a Mobile Data signal, and turned the Roku on. It automatically set itself to my hotspot. I then opened the remote and as I was on 4G, and the Roku was connected to my 4G, I was on the same network, and was able to connect to my Roku, and add the hotel WiFi. Hope this helps.
0 Kudos
Leeanthony
Level 7

You sir, are a genius. Had the exact same problem, followed your suggested process and it totally worked. THANK YOU!
0 Kudos

The easiest way to do this is connect you Roku directly to the internet with an Ethernet cable, then use your phone that is on the same network (Wi-Fi) Roku remote app to go to settings and update your new wireless network settings/password. After you have added the wireless network you can remove the Ethernet cable and place the Roku in any room that is in range of the Wi-Fi.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

"themikelangston" wrote:
The easiest way to do this is connect you Roku directly to the internet with an Ethernet cable, then use your phone that is on the same network (Wi-Fi) Roku remote app to go to settings and update your new wireless network settings/password. After you have added the wireless network you can remove the Ethernet cable and place the Roku in any room that is in range of the Wi-Fi.

Absolutely valid, but doesn't do much for a Stick...  Smiley Very Happy
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
jls624
Level 7

There are many threads on this topic with technical instructions that were difficult for me to decipher. After about an hour of trial and error, here's what worked for me.

I have a Roku Streaming Stick that I brought on vacation but forgot the remote. I only used an iPhone to make this work since I did not have a computer with me.

Step 1: Use a mobile hotspot (iPhone, AT&T) to trick Roku to connecting to your "home network"
1) Rename your iPhone to match the name of your wireless connection at home that you've previously connected your Roku. Mine was called "HOME-25DC" so i went to Settings > General > About and changed the Name field to HOME-25DC
2) On your phone, fo to your Personal Hotspot (under Settings). Change the Wi-Fi Password to match the password of your wireless connection at home that you've previously connected your Roku. Mine was 16 characters and I happened to have it saved on my phone.
3) Turn on your TV with your Roku connected.
4) Enable the Personal Hotspot on your iPhone. It will take a few minutes but you should see a Connection established on your phone. You should also see the Roku screen display the time in place of "Not Connected". When you do, success! You've made your Roku think it's connected to your home network.

Step 2: Use http://remoku.tv/ to connect a web browser remote to your Roku
NOTE: I could not use the Roku app at this point because I couldn't get to the Manual connection page while connected to the mobile hotspot. The web browser remote (http://remoku.tv/) allows you to enter a Manual connection
1) Go to http://remoku.tv/
2) Click the Settings icon
3) In the Manual Add section, try the following IP address: 172.20.10.2. Click the plus button.
4) Click the Remote icon at the top. Click the Home button a few times and see if your Roku responds. If so, move onto the next step. If not, continue here to find your Roku's IP Address.
5) If 172.20.10.2 doesn't work as your Roku's IP address then... while connected to the mobile hotspot, connect another device - such as a second iPhone - to the same hotspot. I used my boyfriend's iPhone. On his iPhone I clicked on Wi-Fi then clicked the blue "i" next to the connection and saw the IP address. It was 172.20.10.3... so I assumed 172.20.10.1 was the hotspot, 172.20.10.2 was the Roku, and 172.20.10.3 was my boyfriend's phone. I tried to use several Network Scanner apps to find the same information but none of the apps would pick up the hotspot as a network. Or identify the Roku. Google searches of "what's my IP address" also did not work since it was not finding the hotspot IP. I'm sure there's a better way to do this but this is what worked for me... The goal is to find your Roku's unique IP address when it is connected to your mobile hotspot.

Step 3: Use a web browser remote (http://remoku.tv/) to setup the new wireless connection on your Roku
1) On your Roku, click Settings, Network, Set up new wireless connection. Click on the name of the wireless connection that you want to setup. Mine was the connection in our vacation rental.
2) Enter the password for the new wireless connect. MAKE SURE YOU ENTER THE PASSWORD CORRECTLY. Once you click "Connect" you will disconnect from the mobile hotspot and the web browser remote will disconnect too. So, MAKE SURE YOU ENTER THE PASSWORD CORRECTLY the first time....
3) Turn off your mobile hotspot and connect your phone to the wireless network you just setup on the Roku.

Step 4: Launch the official Roku app and control your Roku with the your phone.
1) Unplug your Roku and plug it in again. This is so your Roku connects to the network you just setup and returns to the home screen.
2) On your phone, launch the Roku app. Use the official one from the App Store. It's by far the easiest to use.
3) Your Roku should be connected to the same network as your phone. If so, you should see an option to select your Roku on the wireless network when the app launches. Select your Roku and voila!!! You can now control your Roku using your phone. Phew.

Alternatively, don't forget your remote... and... go outside and enjoy being on vacation Smiley Happy
0 Kudos