Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

roku voice activated remotes do not change channels once on a site like direct tv stream

we got the voice remote so we would not have to scroll thru the guide channels on Direct TV and when we hooked it all up and went to Direct TV we could not use voice remote to change channels all you can use voice remote for is to go between different sites like HULU , Direct TV and others like them but once on those sites the voice remote is useless at least that is what i was told by a ROKU Tech on chat line. So if once your on the site you want and think you can change the channel once there guess again cause it wont work. 

so long story short roku does voice remote will not change the channels once you are on a site like direct tv stream . you have to scroll thru all the channels until you find the channel you want to watch then hit ok the voice activation does not work . what happens is when you are on the site like direct tv stream and you ask the remote to go to another channel it leaves the direct tv site and tries to install the channel so pretty useless if you ask me.

5 REPLIES 5
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: ROKU VOICE ACTIVATED REMOTES DO NOT CHANGE CHANNELS ONCE ON A SITE LIKE DIRECT TV STREAM

@debbybrown814gm

Thanks for the post.

We would recommend taking a look at the information provided by our Support page regarding the capabilities of the Voice Remote here: Voice command examples

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
parsons37
Reel Rookie

Re: roku voice activated remotes do not change channels once on a site like direct tv stream

I am having the same problem.  My new voice remote did work and change channels on my wowway cable listing.  I have a Sharp Roku TV, then after about 4 months it just stopped changing the channel. It would go to do a search with the channel number on channels in Tubi Hulu Roku etc or titles with that number in it. I don't know why it quit working I have made sure my software is up to date. My wow cable has about 208 channels and it is very frustrating to have to scroll up and down to get to a particular channel. I have checked out all topics on Roku and help sites.

0 Kudos

Re: roku voice activated remotes do not change channels once on a site like direct tv stream

So what is the answer

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

A Roku voice remote does commands such as "launch Disney" or find "The Fast and the Furious". A Roku voice remote does not have the ability to take commands once you are within a channel such as watch DirecTV Stream and saying "Go to HGTV". That is not how it works. 

https://support.roku.com/article/360009552694

"Note: Not all channels support all commands. We continue to evolve and expand Roku Voice, with a focus on helping you get to your favorite content quickly. We are continually working internally and alongside channel partners to expand functionality and expect it to improve over time."

0 Kudos
HappyJack

Re: ROKU VOICE ACTIVATED REMOTES DO NOT CHANGE CHANNELS ONCE ON A SITE LIKE DIRECT TV STREAM

Danny,

I would recommend you listen to thousands of Roku customers who want to direct tune to a channel by number. Not scroll through hundreds of channels to get to a channel they want to watch on DirectTV or Spectrum TV.