Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cjyorks
Reel Rookie

roku premier remote no volume controls or on/off button

Jump to solution

I just got the roku premiere and the remote does not have a power button or volume controls. I can turn it on using star key but can't turn it off. where are the volume buttons?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: roku premier remote no volume controls or on/off button

Jump to solution

The premiere only comes with IR remote, only Wifi remotes have tv controls. You can purchase separately a wifi remote from Walmart, best buy, and amazon. The premiere + comes with wifi remote.

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
31 REPLIES 31
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

The premiere only comes with IR remote, only Wifi remotes have tv controls. You can purchase separately a wifi remote from Walmart, best buy, and amazon. The premiere + comes with wifi remote.

Edmund

0 Kudos
cjyorks
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks. I have 2 other roku's and needed a third. Guess they want you to spend the extra money to be able to actually control your tv. Why would you use this one then?

Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

Roku remotes only had volume controls for the last 2 years, for 8 previous years no roku had it.

Edmund

0 Kudos
EA99

Jump to solution

I am so disappointed there is no volume control.. I have 2 roku tv.s and use volume control all the time. This is tremendous disappointment and I don’t recall It clearly stated in any marketing material or on the box. Sounds like a future legal issue.

Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

You want them to state on the package things it doesn't have? 

Edmund

Chuck5699

Jump to solution

I will back you up if there is a legal issue., This is sheet chicanery and now onn. Tv is cleverly hiding their support number on Safari.

Cbuchanan
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

It should be clearly stated that the remote does not have a power button or volume keys that to receive these features you must purchase the other remote. I've never heard of such a thing that remote doesn't have power or volume keys as standard features on remote.  These remotes kind of defeat the purpose of the word remote.

Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

Power and volume commands on roku remotes only showed up about 3 years ago, no roku remote before that had such commands. Neither did the competition's remotes. We just got a mute key on the remote last year. 

What separates the express from the express+ is the wifi remote, and only wifi remotes have tv controls*. Having the express with IR only remote keeps the price down. 

* There is a non-wifi roku remote with tv controls, it is only available when you purchase walmart ONN Roku soundbar. The tv commands are roku commands, they NEVER change so there is no need to program it for specific tv brand. When the roku sees these tv commands it initiates a hdmi-cec signal that is sent over the hdmi cable to control whatever brand of tv the roku is connected to. I wish roku would release remote and replace the simple IR remote with this model of remote. Of course this will only work on tv's that have hdmi-cec feature, and if its turned on. 

Edmund

0 Kudos
Dickdaley

Jump to solution

I just bought one of these devices. I've never seen the lack of volume on any competitor device before. Over the last 3-4 years I've used a chrome cast, fire stick, and apple TV and all had volume. This is nuts and makes the device useless for my needs.