Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sicily
Level 7

roku changing other tv

Jump to solution

I searched the forum, but didn't see anything.  We have two TVs in the same room with their own Rokus.  Unfortunately, when we use the roku on the tv on the right, it changes things on TV on the left.  This happens in reverse as well.  If I go to the home on the tv on the left, the tv on the right goes home as well.  Is there any way to make the roku remote dedicated to their own roku device and not effect the other one? 

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: roku changing other tv

Jump to solution

If you'd rather avoid buying replacement remotes in this scenario, I'd recommend using the free Roku Mobile app to control the player that you are currently watching. This will avoid any duplication of remote control commands across multiple devices. 

In the mobile app, you can connect to any Roku device connected to the same wireless network as your phone, switching back and forth between devices as needed. See more here: https://support.roku.com/article/115002681087-how-do-i-control-my-roku-streaming-device-using-the-ro...

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Tivoburkee
Level 10

Jump to solution

If your rokus can only accept IR as they are now, nothing can be done. But if you go into settings under remote and there's an option to pair remote, the with wifi replacement remote you could control the rokus separately. This won't help if both tv's are the same brand. So if roku can be paired to wifi remotes, you would need two new wifi remotes. At least $20.00 a piece on rokus site.

atc98092
Level 13

Jump to solution

Yes, the Roku Express only supports IR. The only possibility is to move them far apart, and shield the remote with your hand so maybe the other Roku won't see the remote commands. However, that is iffy at best. Of the current model Roku players available in the US, only the Premiere+ and the Ultra come with WiFi remotes. Also, All models of the Roku Stick use WiFi. Since even the WiFi remotes have IR emitters, you would have to replace both of your Roku players with WiFi remotes to have no interaction between the two. 

My Premiere 3920 comes with an IR remote, but supports the WiFi Direct remotes. But I don't think any model of Express has WiFi Direct support. Looking at the Roku Accessories page, no Express is listed under the WiFi remotes. 

Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

If you'd rather avoid buying replacement remotes in this scenario, I'd recommend using the free Roku Mobile app to control the player that you are currently watching. This will avoid any duplication of remote control commands across multiple devices. 

In the mobile app, you can connect to any Roku device connected to the same wireless network as your phone, switching back and forth between devices as needed. See more here: https://support.roku.com/article/115002681087-how-do-i-control-my-roku-streaming-device-using-the-ro...

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

View solution in original post

sicily
Level 7

Jump to solution

thank you for the info.

0 Kudos