Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

roku 3 suddenly not controlled by Logitech Harmony 700 remote

I have been using my harmony 700 to control the roku 3 in my system for the past several months.  All of a sudden, the roku stops responding to the Harmony 700.  I have seen a similar topic here: https://community.roku.com/t5/Remotes-Accessories/logitech-harmony-700-does-t-quot-see-quot-roku-rem... 

I do not use a hub, just the Harmony 700.  The roku 3 remote controls the roku 3 just fine, as does my roku app on my iphone. 

I had something similar happen a few months ago and reprogrammed my Harmony by deleting the roku 3 then adding back and that seemed to work.  This time that trick doesn't work.  Any suggestions?  Thanks

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: roku 3 suddenly not controlled by Logitech Harmony 700 remote

It might be the IR pickup circuitry in the roku 3 no longer works, but still responds to wifi, do you have another IR remote to use to check?

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Thank you for responding.

I have another ir remote.  the one that came with my cable box.  It can learn commands but how can I use that to test the roku 3?  To the best of my knowledge, the roku 3 remote works on a proprietary frequency.  

I am also trying to see if the Logitech Harmony support community has any ideas but unfortunately I am having trouble logging in to their site.  It used to be a great source for information. 

I also have a roku 2 (in basement) as well (with remote).  don't know if that can help or not.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

The roku accepts both wifi and IR at the same time, there is only one standard roku IR code set. This cable remote see if it accepts cable code 22371/ 2371? If the basement remote is IR then it will control working roku 3.

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

You might have to unlock the cable device to accept other codes:

1. press and hold set for two blinks

2. enter 9 8 2 it should blink four times

now enter 22371 or 2371

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I've found the following information provided by Roku on the subject of types of remotes: https://support.roku.com/article/115013256808-what-type-of-remote-control-does-my-roku-device-use- 

As the Roku 3 uses an Enhanced "point-anywhere" remote, and needs to be paired, I suspect that it is utilizing bluetooth technology to transmit the signal to the base.  

I attempted to use my Roku 2 (IR based remote) to control the Roku 3 and it was a no go.  I suppose I could just assume the IR receiver on the Roku 3 has quit working as my Harmony 700 controls all other IR devices perfectly, so it's not the transmitter.  Not a huge deal to have to use two remotes, but was nice to have just one remote to have to keep track of in the family room.  

I will try and use my other universal remote to see if it will control the Roku 3 as suggested but I don't expect it will produce favorable results.  Thanks again guys.

P.S.  I also don't quite understand what is meant by wifi as being a mode for transmitting remote signals to the base.  I would be very surprised to learn that the enhanced remote contains the ability to send signals via wifi.  I know that is what is stated in the information that is contained in the link I provided from Roku, but is that really how the signal is being transmitted?  That would mean the remote would show up as a device on my wifi network, which is not what I see upon inspection.  Anyone know more about this?  Or is it just transmitting via RF (and IR) as I suspected initially?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Yes the Roku 3 uses wifi-direct, not Bluetooth. And yes if both roku and its wifi remote were working you would see something like this in your local wifi networks: DIRECT-roku****** I have seven such entries in local network list.

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

interesting.  So if I were to disable my roku 3 remote device from connecting to my home wifi (via the router management software) I should be left with a remote that is IR only, correct?  I will try this tonite and see how this works.  If successful, I should then be able to test the Roku 3 remote in IR mode only.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

No, even if you unplug the router they would still communicate with each other, roku and remote, by wifi. Roku 3 remote are strictly wifi only, the roku can accept IR from a different remote. Later wifi-direct remotes with TV controls could switch to IR roku commands if the roku it was paired with was unplugged, comes handy teaching roku commands to learning remotes.

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Again, thanks for all the responses.  Very helpful.

Surprising how the Roku 3 remote and Roku 3 base work via wifi even if there is no wifi.  

I suppose since my Roku 3 base has lost it's ability to receive IR commands, I am faced with either working around by using the Roku 3 remote in addition to my universal remote (Harmony 700) in the family room, or swapping my Roku 2 back into the family room from the basement and control everything with the H700 as I had in past.  

0 Kudos