Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
coyote2
Level 7

replacement remote for Ultra w/o voice?

The Voice button on my Ultra(2016) drives me crazy.  Is there an alternate remote that will work (it seems like via blutooth, which I like when I'm in another room)?

Incidentally (since I barely care at all about the channel buttons) one with Amazon, and Netflix.  A Youtube button would be nice too.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: replacement remote for Ultra w/o voice?

It's not Bluetooth, but WiFi Direct. That's why it will work without line of sight. However, the Ultra does work with an IR remote, so you should be able to use a variety of after-market remotes. Just remember that it will no longer work outside the room, and you need line of sight for the IR remote to work. I personally have not tried any. 

You cannot alter the direct access buttons on the remote.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
coyote2
Level 7

Thank you very much for your helpful reply, atc!

Is the only compatible remote with "WiFi Direct" the one I'm already using?  (I love not needing to be in the same room.)

My reference to the channel buttons was simply because I know they come with different button combos.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

"coyote2" wrote:
Thank you very much for your helpful reply, atc!

Is the only compatible remote with "WiFi Direct" the one I'm already using?  (I love not needing to be in the same room.)

My reference to the channel buttons was simply because I know they come with different button combos.

Most of the other remotes are WiFi Direct enabled, but I can't say for sure which ones exactly. The different button combos are dependent on two things, the retailer (Wal-Mart gets different buttons I believe, as may others) and what contract Roku has with providers at the time of manufacture. Companies pay for their channel to be included in the buttons, and it seems that Roku has changed them over time. Netflix is always there it seems, but I believe the other three can change. I couldn't even tell you what buttons my remotes have because I never use them.  Smiley LOL
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
coyote2
Level 7

Cool, thanks again atc!

Will only Ultra remotes work with the Ultra? 

I went to ebay looking for attractive channel button combos, and I see there are many knock-offs: Roku remotes not made by Roku.  Anyone have experience with fake Roku remotes?
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

If the remote you ate looking for is compatible with all models except for the Roku Stick or Stick+, then you know it's Infrared. The reason it's not compatible with Roku sticks is because those are the only Roku's that are exclusively wifi direct.

Just mentioning this as any of the "fake" Roku remotes you see will also be IR, and will work with your Ultra.

I recommend that if you buy a third party infrared remote that you buy it from Amazon, because some of them are well-reviewed, and some are real duds.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
coyote2
Level 7

Thank you very much for the informative reply, jeffrok!

Since I want to use it in another room, I'll make sure to avoid those which are "compatible with all models except for the Roku Stick or Stick+".

To confirm that the other ones have WifiDirect I'll use your suggestion to use Amazon reviews to find the right one.
0 Kudos
coyote2
Level 7

Well that was simple.  EVERY Roku remote on Amazon says it is "compatible with all models except for the Roku Stick or Stick+".

Perhaps it's time for me to open up my remote and disconnect the Voice Search button that I can't stop hitting.

Edit: Now I have found ONE wifi Direct Roku remote on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Amaz247-Remote-H ... 0799NMWNN/
But OK button separate from arrow keys, and kinda expensive.  
I do like the absence of Voice Search and it has 2 (instead of my current one) channel buttons I use.
0 Kudos
coyote2
Level 7

FYI I proceeded to Popen up my remote and disconnect the Voice Search button that I can't stop hitting.  Ditto the 4 channel buttons that I also can't stop hitting.  I am very happy now!

Electrical take over the concave side of the plastic piece does the trick.  Once you get the remote open, which as always with such things was a challenge.
0 Kudos