Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mattielynn
Reel Rookie

remote wont connect and I cant do anything because tv isnt connected

Jump to solution

I am at a complete loss and have raked the internet for an answer for weeks. I have a tcl roku tv which was given to me by my brother as a gift. however, he gave it to me with no remote so I went out and bought the roku express 4k setup. I didnt realize I didnt need the whole setup because my tv is already a roku tv so I shouldnt need the roku box. well for a year I used the box because I had it so I thought I might as well use it. I lost the box recently but I didnt think it would be an issue because my tv is a roku tv. well I cant connect my remote to my tv, even through the roku app because my roku tv says its not connected to the internet. I dont know what to do because my remote also has no reset or pairing button. does my remote only work with the box I bought it with? do I need a new remote?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: remote wont connect and I cant do anything because tv isnt connected

Jump to solution

Yes, and yes. A standalone Roku like the express uses a different IR code set than Roku tv's do, so the express remote will never work on your Roku tv. They sell Roku IR remotes on eBay, you can tell it's a Roku tv remote because it plainly says across the bottom Roku Tv along with whatever brand of Roku tv the remote is for and look for the crescent moon key for sleep timer. Only Roku tv IR remote have that key. Or can go to Walmart for Roku wifi voice remote, it will pair with ALL Roku tv's once it is paired it won't work with tv out of the box. Or go with cheap universal remote the following:

onn. R113663 6-Device Universal Remote - Walmart.com

Great universal remote for Roku tv's, code in it is 4398. Will give access to discrete channel commands like Disney+, Discovery+, and apple tv with the help of 5-digit advanced codes or Efc's. These codes for individual functions. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Yes, and yes. A standalone Roku like the express uses a different IR code set than Roku tv's do, so the express remote will never work on your Roku tv. They sell Roku IR remotes on eBay, you can tell it's a Roku tv remote because it plainly says across the bottom Roku Tv along with whatever brand of Roku tv the remote is for and look for the crescent moon key for sleep timer. Only Roku tv IR remote have that key. Or can go to Walmart for Roku wifi voice remote, it will pair with ALL Roku tv's once it is paired it won't work with tv out of the box. Or go with cheap universal remote the following:

onn. R113663 6-Device Universal Remote - Walmart.com

Great universal remote for Roku tv's, code in it is 4398. Will give access to discrete channel commands like Disney+, Discovery+, and apple tv with the help of 5-digit advanced codes or Efc's. These codes for individual functions. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
mattielynn
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Well even though this isn’t the answer I wanted, I totally appreciate you replying and being so helpful! Looks like I either have to find my box or buy a new remote. Now that you explain it it makes sense as to why it wouldn’t work. Thank you for the help!