Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
m1rose28
Level 7

remote does not function for minutes after reboot

When it reboots, the main screen comes on, but it seems to take 5-7 minutes for the remote to work.  During the 5-7 minute period we can't use the remote at all.  Then after ia certain time it seems to work fine.  We've also swapped out the batteries and this has no effect on the 5-7 lag.  The reason we're rebooting is that it seems to hang from time to time (we've had it for <24 hours).  

Also the Roku is plugged into the tv (obviously), and the power is plugged into a regular outlet (not the usb to tv power).

Anyone else experiencing this?
0 Kudos
6 Replies
CParker
Level 7

Re: remote does not function for minutes after reboot

Which Roku unit? Which remote? How many channels do you have installed? If wireless connection, 2.4GHz or 5GHz?
Define "hangs". I rarely reboot and of my Roku devices, which is why I'm asking.
Chief Technology Officer, Barge Captain/mechanic/deckhand/dock hand, Cook, Lawn care and vehicle maintenance.
Yep.... I'm retired. :D
0 Kudos
Chicken
Level 7

My guess is your Roku has no power while your TV is off?  Oh I see, I read incorrectly, your Roku remains powered up while the TV is off.  Anyway, my suspision is the remote has gone into battery saving mode, a sort of sleep function if you will, and reestablishing communication is cause for the delay.

My Roku is powered down with the TV and exhibits similar characteristics but many here claim to have NEVER experienced this.
0 Kudos
CParker
Level 7

"Chicken" wrote:

My Roku is powered down with the TV and exhibits similar characteristics but many here claim to have NEVER experienced this.

I didn't realize the remotes sleep.
I never power off the Roku. I could see a delay if it powers off then upon reboot has to "search for" the remote to reconnect.
Chief Technology Officer, Barge Captain/mechanic/deckhand/dock hand, Cook, Lawn care and vehicle maintenance.
Yep.... I'm retired. :D
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Level 10

"CParker" wrote:
"Chicken" wrote:

I never power off the Roku. I could see a delay if it powers off then upon reboot has to "search for" the remote to reconnect.

If the roku is a stick, and gets its power via usb of tv, if the tv is off, so is the power to roku stick.
0 Kudos
Chicken
Level 7

"CParker" wrote:
"Chicken" wrote:

I'm not certain if the remote normally goes into some kind of sleep mode, but it seems logical this would explain response delay if a re-sync handshake takes place.  I've experienced many times ROKU enhanced remote delays that resolved within a minute and other times repairing the remote quickly resolved the issue but if I'd been patient enough to wait it out maybe the remote would eventually respond?
I was thinking my observation was likely due to the ROKU is powered off and the remote went to sleep.  I haven't experienced this while using the remote, just after it sat idle and unused for maybe an hour at least, best of my recollection.
Now based on OP's report I'm thinking the remote sleeps based on lack of activity, independent of Roku having power?  I don't know for sure, I didn't design it and there's no mention of it in any literature I've read, so obviously it's my fault for choosing a device I hadn't researched?
Then again, there are many claiming adamantly and with vigor, they never experience this.
No big deal for me though, I believe I found a solution that will suit all my purposes.  Just waiting for the missing piece to arrive.
0 Kudos

Hi, m1rose28:

I have a Roku Streaming Stick+ 3810R (Software Version 9.0.0. - Build 4142-50) and my remote is also inoperable immediately after a reboot, but only for 10 seconds.  (I just timed it.)  Like you, my Roku power cable is plugged into a regular wall outlet.  I did not have this issue with my previous Roku Streaming Stick 3600R or my original Roku N1000.

Because I have the free Roku App installed on my iPad, I decided to reboot my 3810R again and see if the same 10 second delay exists with the iPad.  It did not.  Right after rebooting, the 3810R, the device was immediately responsive to the Roku App.

Of course, this doesn't help you much.  But, if you have the ability to try using the Roku App, you may try that and see if you get the same result.

Better yet, I would return the device and get a different one.

Best of luck,
Simon
0 Kudos