Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
quanton
Reel Rookie

questions about Roku Streaming Stick 4K+battery

Jump to solution

To start, if anyone has a link to see the manual I could probably answer the questions myself, but I see no links I want to click on...certainly don't find it here at Roku....

1.  How long does a full charge last when the remote is not being used?

2.  How long does it take to charge the remote once battery is dead?

3.  Can the remote charging for long periods of time/can it stay connected to the charge cord which is connected to an outlet? ....i don't want to leave it for 3 months and come to find the remote dead and not be able to use the Roku until its recharged.....

4.  Can the Roku be used without its remote....with just the remote for the TV?

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: questions about Roku Streaming Stick 4K+battery

Jump to solution

I can't give you any official answers, but I can give you my experience.

1.  After a little over a month of light use my remote still shows 55% charge.

2.  Can't answer this since I haven't had to charge.  I usually charge things overnight, so I don't notice how long they take.

3.  I don't know, but I don't like to keep things connected to their chargers all the time.

4.  No, unless you want to use the Roku app on your phone/tablet as a remote.  This requires that the stick and the phone/tablet are connected to the same network.  There's no way to use the app in place of the remote if you're trying to get the stick connected to a network for the first time or connect it to a new network.

You've probably seen this:  Getting to know your Roku® Voice Remote Pro | Official Roku Support 

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

makaiguy

Jump to solution

@atc98092 wrote:

2) The remote that comes with the Stick 4K+ is not rechargeable. You replace them with new alkaline batteries. If you bought a Voice Remote Pro, then that one is rechargeable. But it doesn't come with the Stick.

My Streaming Stick 4K+ (model 3821) did come with a rechargeable Voice Remote Pro.  Per the good old Wikipedia chart, it is the Streaming Stick 4K 3820 (no plus) that comes with the non-rechargeable Voice Remote.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
renojim

Jump to solution

I can't give you any official answers, but I can give you my experience.

1.  After a little over a month of light use my remote still shows 55% charge.

2.  Can't answer this since I haven't had to charge.  I usually charge things overnight, so I don't notice how long they take.

3.  I don't know, but I don't like to keep things connected to their chargers all the time.

4.  No, unless you want to use the Roku app on your phone/tablet as a remote.  This requires that the stick and the phone/tablet are connected to the same network.  There's no way to use the app in place of the remote if you're trying to get the stick connected to a network for the first time or connect it to a new network.

You've probably seen this:  Getting to know your Roku® Voice Remote Pro | Official Roku Support 

I am not a Roku employee.
atc98092

Jump to solution

I use a Stick for my travels, but I've not actually traveled since I got my new Stick 4K+. From past experience with other Roku remotes, your batteries should last for many months when used little, even if the batteries remain in the remote. Just don't leave ear buds connected to the remote unless you're using them, because that's a large battery drain.

2) The remote that comes with the Stick 4K+ is not rechargeable. You replace them with new alkaline batteries. If you bought a Voice Remote Pro, then that one is rechargeable. But it doesn't come with the Stick.

3) I don't recommend leaving any rechargeable device on the charger unused for a long period. I had a near new cell phone that I left on the charger full time. I carry a work phone, so I don't generally carry my personal phone as well. got tired of having them both. I noticed after some time that the case had bulged and could have exploded, and the battery was cooked. I had to replace the battery (and the phone rear panel because I broke it replacing the battery).

4) You can use the Roku app on a phone/tablet to control a Roku. However, the Roku must first be connected to your home network before the app can see it. And the app usually won't work on a hotel WiFi, as they have security enabled that blocks connected devices from seeing each other. No, the TV remote will not control the Roku.

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
makaiguy

Jump to solution

@atc98092 wrote:

My Streaming Stick 4K+ (model 3821) did come with a rechargeable Voice Remote Pro.  Per the good old Wikipedia chart, it is the Streaming Stick 4K 3820 (no plus) that comes with the non-rechargeable Voice Remote.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
atc98092

Jump to solution

@makaiguy wrote:

I was basing my info on their web page, which doesn't mention it coming with the rechargeable remote. Pretty important feature to not be listed. I see what I did. I clicked the non plus Stick on their page. Sorry about that. 

I got one for Christmas, but since I haven't traveled since the end of November, I'm not certain where it is. 😄 Now I have to figure out where I put it. 😛

Dan

quanton
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

thanks so much for reply...the link to get to know....was excellent.  I hadn't seen it and it did answer important questions.  It says a normal charge should last 2 months under normal usage.  Does this sound anywhere near correct with your experience?  If so I get this.  To often, the remote will be unused for months at a time and I don't want to always come to it dead. the combo of it seeming to have a long charge hold and controllability with the app sounds like a workable solution and won't continue needing new batteries....

also appreciate that we shouldn't leave a battery like this on constant charge...i just had to ask...

thanks again renojim

0 Kudos
quanton
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

thanks for info re controlling stick with app...

the streaming stick 4k+ absolutely has a rechargeable battery;

https://www.roku.com/products/roku-streaming-stick-4k-plus

thanks again for help

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

I do apologize for my inaccurate statement about the remote being rechargeable. I found mine last night and it is indeed the Pro remote. And I see that I've had it plugged in constantly for the past two months. I need to unplug it. 🙂

I think the two month estimate is reasonable, but of course every person's definition of "normal" use could vary. The one thing to remember with the WiFi Direct remotes is that they're always "on", so there's always some battery drain at all times. With my other WFD remotes, I tend to go many months (6 or more) before needing to replace the AA batteries. But rechargeable batteries don't tend to last as long on a charge as alkaline cells, so a two month charge period seems reasonable. 

Dan

quanton
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

thanks for trying to help and provide good info...

0 Kudos