Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

pairing remote

Roku was working fine with phone app as the remote, then I received an error message and remote quit working. Phone app said it didn't see Roku stick. Ive tried to hard reset Roku but after 20 secs I get a pair your remote screen. Ive deleted and reinstalled app. as well as made sure the stick and phone were on the same network. Do I need a new stick or remote. We threw away our old remote away when it quit working.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: pairing remote

@bradfordfire 

Thanks for the post.

If you performed a factory reset on your Roku device, you will need a physical remote in order to setup the Roku device again.

What Roku model device are you using so we can recommend the appropriate replacement remote that you will need?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

resetting remote

Having to reset(re- pair) on startup or while using

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: pairing remote

@bradfordfire wrote:

Roku was working fine with phone app as the remote, then I received an error message and remote quit working. Phone app said it didn't see Roku stick. Ive tried to hard reset Roku but after 20 secs I get a pair your remote screen. Ive deleted and reinstalled app. as well as made sure the stick and phone were on the same network. Do I need a new stick or remote. We threw away our old remote away when it quit working.

If it's an actual "Stick" model that can plug directly into the TV without a cable, then a real Roku remote is required to connect the Stick to a network. Once it's connected, then you can use the app again. If it's the old 3500 (purple) Stick, you are out of luck because that remote is no longer available. You can sometimes find a used on on eBay, but they cost almost as much as a new Roku. Also, the older Sticks don't work with some of the latest channels, such as Disney+. 

However, if it's one that requires a cable to connect to the TV, then you're in luck. Those players will support a universal IR remote that can usually be found in a local store for under $10. I was browsing in a Fred Meyer store the other day, and they had a number of GE remotes that all say they are already programmed for Roku devices, and the least expensive was $6.99. Somewhere like Target probably has them as well. But these IR remotes will NOT work on a Roku Stick. For those, you must have a real Roku remote that is specific to your Stick.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: resetting remote

@Tomagus 

Thanks for the post.

We would recommend taking a look at the troubleshooting steps provided by our Support page here: How do I resolve problems with my Roku® enhanced "point-anywhere" remote?

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos