Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jimh12345
Level 8

mute button - is there new hope?

I bought an Ultra earlier this year.  To be honest, if I'd known there was no Mute button on the remote, I think I'd have gone with Amazon instead.  It's just an incomprehensible design decision,

But did I just read that a newer model has a remote that's basically the same, but with a Mute button?  And if that's true can I get that remote WITHOUT having to buy a whole new device? 

5 Replies
Tivoburkee
Level 20

Re: mute button - is there new hope?

Yes, if you need a remote with headphone jack and mute you will have to purchase it from Roku website  for $29.99, its the second down on remote accessory page.

https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/player

If you can do without the headphone jack you can save $10 and get remote separately from walmart, best buy or amazon for 19.88:

https://www.amazon.com/Roku-Voice-Remote-Official-Players/dp/B07WVFCKSS/ref=pd_rhf_sc_p_img_4?_encod...

Many places have the new Roku Ultra for $48.00 for black Friday.

Edmund
jimh12345
Level 8

Thanks Tivoburkee.

Actually leaving out the mute button makes perfect sense.  You tell your streaming service 'partners' that there won't be a mute button, and users will quickly tire of walking the volume down and up, so they'll give up and listen to the ads.  The partners love it!  And then later, after all the deals are signed, you can nick your users for another $30 for that mute button as an 'upgrade' .   Roku is one smart company.

0 Kudos
Mkt1954
Level 7

Yes, what happened to the mute button.  It is shown on the remotes when viewing the streaming devices.  Looked at the Ultra to purchase because it had a remote with mute button.  Now you review that the remote button has been removed and Roku has not updated the information on their website.  I just purchased some 3810R streaming stick+  as gifts,  and just checked the remotes, no mute button even though the website shows a mute button.  I am returning them.  Thank you for the update about the Ultra having the same issue.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Level 20

The 2019 inventory of stick+ come with mute key, 2018 and before stick+ didn't, sounds like you got old inventory. Best buy has the exclusive stick+ 3811 with headphone jack remote and it has the mute key.

The ultra is no longer on sale, and probably out of stock because of the sale.  As I said earlier you can purchase a rc-al7 remote from walmart, best buy, or amazon for $19.88, switch them for the rc-al2 your stick+ came with, then sell rc-al2's on ebay for over $20 a piece and make some of your money back.

Edmund
0 Kudos
CheapSeats
Level 7

Trust me, when the remote batteries start to fail repeatedly, you won’t really give a darn about the mute button at all. This is a common problem they have not figured out how to resolve yet since everyone seems to be conversing about it.