Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fercam

Roku TV factory reset no remote

I lost my roku remote to my hisense roku tv. i decided to do the facotry reset not knowing it wouldn't disconnecet from my phone. Now I am stuck on the "let's get started" screen with no remote or bluetooth from phone. I even bought the Roku express in hopes it would connect but it didn't now I wasted money on a remote that doesn't even connect. pls i need help

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: after factory reset no remote

The Roku Express 4k+ comes with a remote that should pair with the TV, but the Roku Express HD does not.  If the remote you got with the Express has a button in the battery compartment then it should pair to the TV.  If it doesn't, then it will never work with the TV.  You have to have a working remote to get the TV connected to your Wi-Fi.

You can see the current players at https://www.roku.com/products/players .  If it comes with a voice remote it should work with your TV.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: after factory reset no remote

@fercam 

The Roku Voice Remote (and Roku Voice Remote Pro) will work with Roku TVs. Your options for a remote for a Roku TV are one from the manufacturer, or a Roku Voice Remote (or Pro). A standard Roku (or Roku compatible) IR remote will not work. Yes, the Roku TV remotes are IR remotes, but the codes are different, and vary by manufacturer. Roku standard IR codes work with the Roku boxes only. You can pick up a Voice Remote (or Pro) from Walmart, Best Buy, and other such locations, or order online as @renojim suggested.

You now understand that a factory reset will disconnect you from the remote control feature of the app. You may understand why, but for others that might not understand why this is so, here's what's going on.

The Roku app remote works by connecting across your WiFi network. Both your mobile device with the app, and your Roku device (a Roku TV, in your instance), must be connected to the network BEFORE the app can control the Roku device. A factory reset is exactly that: a factory reset. You have to set everything up from scratch, including connecting to the network. You can't use the app because you aren't on the network. You must have a remote to connect your Roku device to a network.

In all this, one thing hasn't been addressed: why the factory reset? That's never something you should do unless it's the last resort on fixing an issue. So, what was the issue that caused you to do a factory reset? That issue may still be lingering, and may have an impact going forward.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos