Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will the official Roku replacement controller work without the original?

Sorry if this seems silly. I first looked on Amazon for a replacement remote but many of them said you needed the original remote to program it. This seems odd because one of the main reasons people purchase new remotes is because they've lost theirs, lol

I have two roku smart tvs and an older model roku in the living room thats held up surprisingly well. I only need the remote to work on the TV in the living room. Thanks for the help, been a Roku user for a while now and I've enjoyed how they've grown. Fingers crossed we get HBO Max soon. 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Level 20

Re: Will the official Roku replacement controller work without the original?

Roku doesn't sell Roku TV IR remotes, you would need to get them from tv manufacturer. They do sell the Roku tv voice remote, which is wifi remote that has to be paired to the tv before it will work. You could go through the tv menu to pair wifi remote, but if you don't have access to the menu you can simply unplug the tv power for a bit, once you plug it back in at power up its sniffing for WIFI remotes. You would press and hold the pairing key in the battery compartment of the wifi remote for 3 seconds and release allow it to communicate with tv. 

You can also go to ebay there are many Roku tv IR remotes for under $10, you can tell an IR tv remote by the power button and crescent moon key which is the sleep timer key only Roku tv IR remotes have these. 

Walmart and best buy have the Roku wifi voice remotes in store, walmart also sells the One-For-All urc-7935 streamer universal remote that controls Roku tv great. Once programmed, you wouldn't need another remote to do. Here's photo next to roku tv voice remote:

P1010420 (800x600).jpg

Edmund
0 Kudos

I'm sorry, I should have made it more clear

This is for the older roku device, not the tvs. I have controllers for the two tvs and quite enjoy their updated style. Will this same method work of unplugging the roku from power briefly and rebooting to get it to pair with the device? 

0 Kudos
Level 20

If these  aren't true Roku tv, a tv with screen that has a built-in roku streamer? Then what model and type of roku do you have, can't answer correctly until I know what we are dealing with? Is it console that accepts hdmi cable? Is it a stick with hdmi connector built-in? 

Edmund
0 Kudos

Its an old school roku box

No stick

I'm assuming its 2nd or so gen Roku

0 Kudos
Level 20

Then it won't work with the wifi voice remotes. You need the simple IR roku remote which on backorder, its $14.99 they say it ships on Dec 21.:

https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/player

I would go to target or the dollar store and get a cheap universal remote with Roku listed. Its IR and has the benefit of controlling your tv as well. No other remote needed, just enter a code for roku.

Edmund
0 Kudos