Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Will our original remote work on the new OS?

Hello.  I just got the email from Roku which talks about all the new features, such as free live TV, Roku Voice, customization.  We have a plain old Roku stick and remote.  Will any of this work on that - if NOT what do we need to get.  Thank you.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Level 15

Re: Will our original remote work on the new OS?

Not certain what your email was about, but most of that sounds like standard Roku features that depend on which device you have.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Email entitled, Your Device Just Got better, talks about Roku Voice, Live TV etc.  We got this Roku about 5 years ago and I am sure theres' been dozens of updated models.  Not sure if we need to update

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Sorry to other everyone, but I am not well versed in Roku.  Just found the box it came in and all I see is "2000+", an old version I am guessing.  Should we upgrade?  Thank you  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15

It's possible that is just an ancient Roku 1 from 2000 (model 2000 is the Roku HD and dates to 2010). I think one of the settings menus will give a model number if it's not printed on the device itself. Something that old is VERY slow and some channels no longer support it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

@andyross wrote:

It's possible that is just an ancient Roku 1 from 2000 (model 2000 is the Roku HD and dates to 2010). I think one of the settings menus will give a model number if it's not printed on the device itself. Something that old is VERY slow and some channels no longer support it.

Thank you very much for the reply!  Just asking, could you recommend which one we should get?  Thanks again

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15

If you can use WiFi, just get an Express. It's the entry level, but will be a major upgrade over your old one.

When you go to link it, make sure to use this EXACT link as many browsers will pop-up suggestions as you type, and most of those suggestions go to scam sites that make you call a number and then try to charge you.

https://my.roku.com/link

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17

@andyross wrote:

I think one of the settings menus will give a model number if it's not printed on the device itself. Something that old is VERY slow and some channels no longer support it.

For any model I've seen, you can get the model name and number via Settings > System > About.  Whether this applies to a model as old as the 2000, if that's what it turns out you have, I don't know.

And I agree, replacing with any of the current models will be an astounding upgrade in terms of unit response and support for the latest channels that won't even load on some older units.

One question that could affect Roku model choice: what resolution does the TV you want to use this with have (standard definition, 720p HD, 1080, 4K?) and does it have HDMI inputs?

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos