Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AJer
Level 7

Will 2019 Streaming Stick + Remote work with 2020 Premiere

Jump to solution

I purchased a Streaming Stick + in Nov/2019 which is now broken and will not Stream all Apps correctly.  The device had this description:  "Roku Streaming Stick+ HD/4K/HDR Streaming Device with Long-range Wireless and Voice Remote with TV Controls (updated for 2019)".

I now want to purchase a new Roku Premiere which I know has a remote without TV controls for Volume, etc.   

My question is, when I set up the new Roku Premiere will I be able to pair my old remote from the  Streaming Stick+ 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Will 2019 Streaming Stick + Remote work with 2020 Premiere

Jump to solution

All Roku stick remotes connect via wifi-direct because sticks are normally installed behind the TV where a line-of-sight Infrared (IR) signal can't reach.

Per this Wikipedia chart no Roku Premiere can be controlled by a wifi-direct remote, only by an IR remote.  Instead of a Premiere you could purchase a model that the chart says supports a wifi-direct remote.

[Edit: I've been advised that despite what the chart says, the current Express and Premiere models are only supplied with IR remotes, but they CAN be controlled by a wifi-direct remote, in which case your Streaming Stick+ remote should be able to link to the Premiere and control it.]

Alternatively, you could could purchase an IR-only Roku model and get a 3rd party universal IR remote from your local Walmart, Target, Dollar store, etc., that supports Roku devices as well as your TV brand.

Doug
Roku Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X | Roku Streaming Stick 3600

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, just a user like you.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution."

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1\
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Will 2019 Streaming Stick + Remote work with 2020 Premiere

Jump to solution

All Roku stick remotes connect via wifi-direct because sticks are normally installed behind the TV where a line-of-sight Infrared (IR) signal can't reach.

Per this Wikipedia chart no Roku Premiere can be controlled by a wifi-direct remote, only by an IR remote.  Instead of a Premiere you could purchase a model that the chart says supports a wifi-direct remote.

[Edit: I've been advised that despite what the chart says, the current Express and Premiere models are only supplied with IR remotes, but they CAN be controlled by a wifi-direct remote, in which case your Streaming Stick+ remote should be able to link to the Premiere and control it.]

Alternatively, you could could purchase an IR-only Roku model and get a 3rd party universal IR remote from your local Walmart, Target, Dollar store, etc., that supports Roku devices as well as your TV brand.

Doug
Roku Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X | Roku Streaming Stick 3600

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, just a user like you.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution."

View solution in original post

0 Kudos