Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nziemann
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku remote draining batteries

Jump to solution

Hi Danny, 

I was told to supply my serial number, mine is YHOOOE763402.

any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

nick

0 Kudos
PCTriplett
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

8+ months is not appropriate! I got my Roku system around July, and in no time the remote starts eating batteries. Solution is to plug it in? There’s apparently a failure to communicate here, as there’s no way to “plug it in.” Every piece of my Roku system is plugged in, the only piece not is the remote. Just take the batteries out is cheesy, too. 

Someone needs to own this and Fix The Issue. 

bozlax
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Still trying to diagnose this. Attached the RC127 to the soundbar on Sunday, took the batteries out of the RC490, left everything powered but "off". Now, three days later give or take, and the RC127 is reporting a 100% battery. Switched back to the RC490 remote (took the batteries out of the RC127, and yes I'm using a different pair of batteries for each remote) and it's still reporting 100%. Will check again in 6-7 hours and see where we are.

0 Kudos
R1C
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Remove one battery for 3 to 5 seconds then replace it and wait another 5 or so seconds. What seems to be a remote not working due to dead batteries is for me just a lost connection between my Remote RC127 and Roku 3800x which is plugged into a power strip, not the TV USB port.

0 Kudos
bozlax
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@R1C wrote:

Remove one battery for 3 to 5 seconds then replace it and wait another 5 or so seconds.

This is interesting, because having switched back to the newer remote, I'm no longer seeing a battery drain (I don't believe I've ever been having a disconnection problem). Now I'm wondering if you have to do a power-cycle for new firmware to "activate". (fwiw, the problem also went away on my 3810x after power-cycling, I just didn't notice it at the time.)

In short, it's anecdotal because once the problem stops happening you can't either assign causality or establish repeatability, but try doing a full power-cycle on both devices (unplug the stick and take the batteries out of the remote), wait a little bit (conventional IT-lore says 10 seconds), and then power both up and see if the problem is solved.

Worth a shot.

0 Kudos
R1C
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply.

The problem is intermittent: the remote works for weeks then suddenly seems dead until I remove/replace a battery waiting several seconds between.

I've full power-cycled both devices several times but once the problem again arises, the above process usually kickstarts the remote. I've also tried other batteries getting it going then reinstalled the seemingly faulty ones and all is well once more.

I use rechargeable batteries throughout the house and will here too once these are certainly dead or I may just replace the 3800x with a Roku TV since I've never had remote problems with them.

Keeps things interesting regardless.

0 Kudos
Dino75

Jump to solution

I’m having the same exact problem. Weekly battery change. 

0 Kudos
Tzmothert
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Same problem here.  Batteries last one week at most.  

0 Kudos
R1C
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Same thing today, remote wouldn't work even with new batteries installed yesterday. But after removing one battery, waiting five or more seconds, then reinstalling the battery and waiting another five or more seconds, the remote worked and showed 100% battery charge in Settings.

Black Friday deals coming soon, so I may just replace the ol' bedroom Vizio and 3800x with a new Roku TV. Best of luck y'all.

0 Kudos
jockfreese
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

It's clear. Roku doesn't care. 

0 Kudos