Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choco4Me

Re: Why is Roku, whos worth 40 billion USD still doing nothing2 fix their defective remotes after ye

New to Roku! A family member and I are also experiencing the same problem. Their plain Roku remote works fine, but both of our voice command remotes drain about every three weeks. I have viewed multiple complaints about the issue, but haven't seen any real answers. Maybe I can ask Roku to just give me a plain remote? I am old fashioned anyway. My biggest problem with Roku is that there are mostly no trailers for the movies or shows. I know it's probably impossible, but I seriously hate starting a show blind. I guess Netflix spoiled me; as soon as you slide over to the next show, a preview automatically plays.

PawPawRon
Streaming Star

Re: Why is Roku, whos worth 40 billion USD still doing nothing2 fix their defective remotes after ye

Good luck with getting anyone within Roku to respond. Mine has totally failed now after 20-30 times resetting and going thru all the motions. I am now using a generic remote that has a control for Roku but it does not have all the functionality.

VAR
Roku Guru

I don’t think it’s the remotes because I paired the remote on my other TVs and it worked 

I think some of the Roku devices were partially fried when they updated the software to 10.0.0

I have 5 devices in 2 locations and only 1 was hit 🤔

0 Kudos
PawPawRon
Streaming Star

I find it interesting how Roku keeps coming out with "new and improved" versions of their equipment but they do not seem to care about customer service or taking care of those who have already been customers. I had originally posted a 5 star review on Amazon and in the past few days went back and edited it with an update regarding the lack of any customer service and changed the review to one star.

userfred
Reel Rookie

If it was an update causing this, that’s even worse- they need to roll it back weeks ago and apologise profusely. I’m a new customer but unless this is fixed pdq I’m going back to the fire stick.

PawPawRon
Streaming Star

I do not believe it is the update causing issues. It is defective remote controls that they seem to refuse to address. Do not expect much in the way of any results from their non-existent customer service. You might see a reply every week or so or get an email to which you reply only to never receive any response back.

IRT a Firestick, what are your feelings about the overall formatting, interface, etc of the Firestick in comparison to Roku? I am seriousl considering the new Firestick and doing away with Roku altogether. Am interested in hearing from someone who has worked with both. Thanks for any feedback you may provide!

PawPawRon
Streaming Star

I forgot to add in my previous reply that I find it interesting that Roku only guarantees their remotes for One Year in the USA but TWO years in the UK. Most likely the 2 year warranty was a requirement by the UK government. Too bad Roku does not make the 2 year a standard across their products but that might hit their profit margins a bit too much.  

Pale001mia

I see a lot of responses seem to dispute the issue; I understand both sides based on my experience:

- I have 4 "Rokus"; 2 TV's and 2 devices

- One of those devices is a Streaming Stick+.   The remote for IT (only) has been an absolute nightmare.  I'm on my 2nd remote for Stick+ and while this one goes through batteries slower than the first, it's still dramatically faster than the other three.

However, IT (only) constantly has a problem where it disconnects from the device.  It can still operate the (Panasonic) tv functions, but I need to do the whole "remove batteries, unplug Roku, replug Roku, reinstall batteries" thing on nearly a daily basis - sometimes, more than once a day.

Yes, I do have the app on my phone which I use as fallback, but it's ONLY ever this Stick+ remote with the issue.

Dealing with Roku support was a NIGHTMARE in getting the first remote replaced (inc it being shipped to the wrong address then insisting I had received it).

It was such a hassle that I am just making due with this replacement remote since it at least eats batteries at a slower pace than the first.

Based on this, I am no longer recommending Roku.

For a variety of reasons, I get asked my opinion a lot on this, but as much as I believe Roku functionality is substantially better than the competition, this issue with the Stick+ remote(s) along with the subsequent bad customer service experience have just been too much.

Roku has so much going for it; this has been SUCH a disappointment.

Darkwolf72
Channel Surfer

I bought myself a universal remote at WalMart and use it for my tv which is a Samsung and my Roku Express 4K+. My Roku remote wasn't draining as qucikly as others but it would only last a few weeks before needing new batteries An annoyance I got tired of. I tried a factory reset among other things and finally gave up on it. Maybe it's the voice control? Even though I seldom used that. The universal remote does everything I want so it was worth it

lswanhall

It is frustrating. I have 3 roku devices, all of which have eventually started making a high pitched sound and draining batteries within a day or two. The first time roku sent me a comparable replacement. Second time they sent me a less nice remote (the replacement is not able to control the TV volume/power). The third remote just went bad today so we'll see what happens. 

0 Kudos