Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Protholl
Level 7

Why don't Roku TVs have remote audio? Why don't Roku elite units have mute?

It makes sense to me that any roku remote should have a mute button.  The phone does ring.  Other family members might want to ask a question  If you have volume up and volume down it really shouldn't be a problem for mute.  It also makes sense to me that any roku TV remote should support bluetooth/remote headphones from the remote.  Why the disparity?  I currently have a samsung TV and a roku elite in the master bedroom so I can listen to content while my wife sleeps.  It's ok... but there is no mute function for an ad blasting into my eardrums from a OTA station or an ad-supported streaming channel.   If I replaced the samsung TV with a TCL/ONN/other ROKU TV.. I get the mute button but no headphone capability.

Thoughts Roku?   Can this be a future option?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
StreamerUser
Level 16

Re: Why don't Roku TVs have remote audio? Why don't Roku elite units have mute?

Oh man, I only own some Ultras, I really want to get my hands on that Elite - its gotta be the best...

(You might want to list your actual model #)

In less humorous but more relevant news, you can replace your "muteless" remote with a "muteful" one:

https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/player

The first two have mute buttons, the first also supports connected headphones.

0 Kudos
Protholl
Level 7

Thanks but you missed the point.  No Roku TV has a remote that supports headphone audio natively.  That is what I'm looking for but thanks.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 16

Pretty sure you asked 2 questions, not made 2 points:  "Why don't Roku TVs have remote audio? Why don't Roku elite units have mute?" - they are literally in the title of this very thread you created.

I suggest you reread your initial thread title and post, as well as my response with relevant link to desired remote upgrades.

I actually answered both questions - there is no "Elite" model, though you can upgrade to a remote with a mute button & headphones connector, that also works on Roku TVs:  https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/player

Enhanced voice remote

With TV controls and personal shortcuts

Power up your TV, adjust the volume, mute, and control your streaming. Use Roku Voice to quickly search and more, enjoy private listening with connected headphones, and set personal shortcuts for one-touch control.

Compatible with:

Roku 4
Roku Ultra LT
Roku Ultra (Only models 4670, 4800)
Roku Smart Soundbar
Roku TV (Only model series 6000X, 7000X, C000X, 8000X, A000X)
Roku® Streambar™

Voice remote

With TV power, volume, and mute buttons

Power up your TV, adjust the volume, mute, and control your streaming with one remote. Use Roku Voice to quickly search across channels, turn captions on, and more in a touch. Find remotes for Roku® Streaming Sticks®.

Compatible with:

Roku 3
Roku 4
Roku Express+ (Only model 3931)
Roku Premiere
Roku Premiere+
Roku Streaming Stick (Only models 3600, 3800)
Roku Streaming Stick+ (Only model 3810)
Roku Ultra LT
Roku Ultra
Roku Smart Soundbar
Roku® Streambar™
Roku TV
0 Kudos
Protholl
Level 7

And of course you missed the point.. again.  You cannot purchase a ROKU TV (ONN, TLC et.al) that the remote that comes with it will allow you to use personal headphones.  I'm not talking about buying a car and then buying a tire and then a seat here.. I'm talking about buying a single item... a single transaction to purchase and receive a ROKU TV model with the ability to use a headset.  That does NOT exist.   If you buy an external ROKU device (NOT a TV) you can get headphone audio but NOT with a mute function.  I already own that with a Samsung TV and a Roku Elite with headphones.  If you re-read my original post it takes two devices and two remotes to use the headphones and be able to use a mute button.

You're totally missing the point here but I don't understand why you don't see it.  I want to get a ROKU TV with a ROKU remote with headphone audio and a mute button.

This combination is not available without a compromise by using at least two devices.. which I already own.

Please read the entire post before you boast.  You've missed the goalpost like a rookie college goal kicker.

Jeffrey

0 Kudos
Strega
Level 12

I think when you say Elite, you mean Express, since that's the only model I can think of without a mute button.  I have an Express and don't miss the mute button myself, but I'll just say: choose your model wisely. (It's another $5 to get a mute button.)

I don’t know anything about Roku TVs, but Roku supplies an OS to various TV vendors who decide what features to include.  You can get all kinds of headphones to work with various TVs. 

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Level 20

You're asking for something you may want, but Roku never pushed as selling point. Reason is it doesn't work on the majority of roku tv models, they use to delete all posts dealing with private listening on roku tv's. Count yourself lucky it works on your model, I own three roku tv's and it only works on one my tcl 7000x series 43" roku tv. With my 55" insignia and 40" hisense no. 

Edmund
0 Kudos
Protholl
Level 7

Umm... they use any post technical points to delete any reference to private listening?  Do you really understand what you are typing?

Roku Elite/Stick (some models).... HDMI output to a TV and headphone audio up/down via the remote but no mute function
Roku TV (most models) ..... remote has audio up/down and mute function but no headphone option
Roku ???  The remote has both mute and headphone options.... but you'll need to wait until 2034

Get it yet?

I really don't understand why this is so controversial.  Roku offers Roku TV models and they offer Roku standalone/HDMI input models but they can't seem to combine headphone audio and a mute button on the remote.

Jeffrey

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 16

@Protholl wrote:

And of course you missed the point.. again.  You cannot purchase a ROKU TV (ONN, TLC et.al) that the remote that comes with it will allow you to use personal headphones.  I'm not talking about buying a car and then buying a tire and then a seat here.. I'm talking about buying a single item... a single transaction to purchase and receive a ROKU TV model with the ability to use a headset.  That does NOT exist.   If you buy an external ROKU device (NOT a TV) you can get headphone audio but NOT with a mute function.  I already own that with a Samsung TV and a Roku Elite with headphones.  If you re-read my original post it takes two devices and two remotes to use the headphones and be able to use a mute button.

You're totally missing the point here but I don't understand why you don't see it.  I want to get a ROKU TV with a ROKU remote with headphone audio and a mute button.

This combination is not available without a compromise by using at least two devices.. which I already own.

Please read the entire post before you boast.  You've missed the goalpost like a rookie college goal kicker.

Jeffrey

FYI, A single item and a single transaction are not the same thing.

Nothing precludes one from purchasing a Roku TV and purchasing an extra remote (with headphones capability) at the same time (single transaction).  

Nothing also precludes one from purchasing a remote after the fact with mute/mute & headphones, whether the initial model came with such a remote or not (that's the very reason Roku provides remote sales/upgrades).

Roku doesnt manufacture Roku TVs - they license the RokuOS to the manufacturers that do.  If you dont like the fact that the Roku TV you have or want to buy doesnt have a remote with both headphones and mute functionality, then you need to complain to the TV manufacturer, not Roku.

But guess what?  Roku does manufacture remotes, and even provides a solution for those TVs - the $30 (headphones and mote) remote at the link I provided.

Roku also manufactures "external models", and every current model that has a headphone remote, also has a mute button - the mute button works to mute the TV/AVR, or the headphones when plugged in.

So contrary to your claim otherwise, you can indeed "get a model with headphone audio and mute function":  

The Roku Ultra, The Ultra LT and the Streaming Stick+ Headphones Edition models all have remotes with both headphones and mute:

https://www.roku.com/products/roku-ultra

https://www.roku.com/products/roku-ultra-lt

https://www.roku.com/products/roku-streaming-stick-plus-headphone-edition

Also, you keep referring to a Roku "Elite", but no such model exists.  Does your "Elite" have an actual model #?

The solution to your problem awaits you - either spend the $30 for a remote upgrade (link already provided), or purchase a new Roku player (links provided above).

0 Kudos
Protholl
Level 7

Fanboy much? You've totally missed my point but I'll give you that.  My original post was a request for a single purchase (solution?) that will meet my needs.  You're so fanboy you've gone all wrapped around the axle with the company line.  My post was asking for something new.. something that you can't find in walmart, best buy, world+dog because it isn't available.  I don't want to purchase a TV with ROKU functions then purchase another remote that may or may not have a mute button.  Then I pray that remote has a headphone jack.

Please get off your high horse before you are injured.

I don't think I'm alone in looking for a ROKU TV that has a remote that supports:

A mute function
A headphone function

4K content

You can quote other models until the cows come home but you're missing the point.  I'm looking for a smart/roku 4k TV with a mute button on the remote and a headphone jack.  This isn't available in any single transaction/SKU

I stated before I have a roku 4k and a Samsung 4k non-smart TV... which was my attempt at a roku elite

Please get off of your high horse sponsored by Roku.  Riding it while responding only helps you and nobody else.

0 Kudos