Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Why does my roku express remote go thru batteries in a week?

Jump to solution

@Nostink you didn't state which Roku player you have. If it's the Express, then it's the simple IR remote. That remote does nothing unless a button is pressed, so battery life should be measured in many months. See if there's any button that might be sticking, or have something jammed in it.

And it's always possible that it's defective, and Roku appears to be pretty good about replacing defective hardware. If you can't find any sticking button, contact @RokuDanny-R via a private message with your device serial number and your Roku user account email address (don't post that here in the public forum).

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Nostink

Thanks for the post.

I have responded to the PM that you sent me and will continue to assist you from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Jwg2

Jump to solution

I’m having the same issue. Please help. 

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

What helped me, was plugging my roku stick into an outlet. I unplugged the usb plug from the tv and plugged it into an outlet and that fixed my issue.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I am having the same problem.  Battery in the remote lasts only a day.  I have installed the Roku remote on my Iphone and now it's battery also gets drained very quickly.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@steveharms491 wrote:

I am having the same problem.  Battery in the remote lasts only a day.  I have installed the Roku remote on my iPhone and now it's battery also gets drained very quickly.

This thread has included a number of different Roku devices. Please state the model number (not just the name) of your Roku, so we know what you are using. 

As to your iPhone battery drain, using an app continually, especially if you're using private listening, will drain the battery pretty fast as well. Depending on your phone model, it may simply not have that great of battery life. iPhone battery life varies greatly between some models. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Tiggy13

Jump to solution

Seems like lots of people have the same question . Roku = 0 answers that I could find.

atc98092

Jump to solution

@Tiggy13 wrote:

Seems like lots of people have the same question . Roku = 0 answers that I could find.

Lots of questions, and Roku has provided some answers. The biggest issue is that while this thread has Express in the subject line, people with different models chime in, and different models have different remotes, with different potential issues and resolutions. So we have to ask each person, what model Roku do you have? IR remotes are pretty simple, and if one of them has a severe battery drain it's either a stuck button or a defective remote. WiFi Direct remotes have several potential issues that might cause a problem, but without knowing what model it is we're all just whistling in the wind. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Victorled

Jump to solution

My roku remote kill batteries in 2 days.

Why does it do that ,I already went thru a pack of 30. Ijust wanna watch tv

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@Victorled what model Roku do you have? A remote that uses IR should have batteries that last for many months, even with heavy use. WiFi remotes do use more batteries, but I still get several months out of mine. 

If you have an IR remote, the first thing to check is for a stuck button. Look at the end of the remote through a digital camera, such as a phone camera, and see if there's a blinking light with no buttons being pressed. If so, it's either a stuck button, which you might be able to unstick, or it's defective.

But a sticking button would probably cause strange things to happen on the Roku, so my guess is it's defective. You could try using a simple inexpensive universal IR remote and see if everything works correctly. Such a remote can be found in many places for under $10.

Dan

0 Kudos