Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
peterpan321
Level 7

Which Rokus can control TV volume?

I have a ROKU Premiere, and recently downloaded the "official" ROKU remote "APP"  for my iphone. I found it interesting that the app allows me to switch to private listening, which turns off the TV audio and plays through my I-phone instead. So my question is, since the app can obviously "tell' the Roku to stop sending audio to the TV, why can't it also offer a 'soft" volume control? I guess the model of ROKU I have doesn't have the capability to control the actual TV volume or power, but shouldn't it be possible to at least offer a "software" volume control, to at least lower or raise the volume within the level limited by the TV controls?  If this could be added to the roku remote app, I request that they do so. But if it is impossible with the ROKU I have, what would be the minimum upgrade I'd have to purchase so that one remote could do all these functions?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8\
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Which Rokus can control TV volume?

So your premiere came with IR remote, no tv controls. Upgrade your remoteb to voice remote and it can be programmed via your premiere to control your tv volume. You buy it from Roku, on amazon or local at walmart or best buy. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
peterpan321
Level 7

It already has voice control, but no volume control. And as I explained, i downloaded the remote app for my iPhone, and it can't control the volume either.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Which physical Roku remote do you have?

Settings...Remotes & Devices...Remotes...About (Should provide both Name and Model Number of Remote)

Regarding the Roku mobile app, not aware of any TV's volume that it can control (believe you need the IR functionality of a remote to do that.)  I think I remember the app used to have the volume buttons but were removed to reduce confusion (I may be remembering wrong...not even sure if it was the official Roku app or others that had them.)

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660x, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941
0 Kudos
peterpan321
Level 7

Thanks, but... Someone on Facebook showed me a screen shot of the same ROKU iPhone app I have, but theirs shows both power and volume controls. I've also seen procedures for "how to set up " the ROKU device for volume and power, and the options in the settings shown simply don't exist in my ROKU. The device is only a year only and it reports having had a software update just a couple of weeks ago, and the app was just downloaded yesterday so I'm sure its up to date. The TV is a smart TV (Vizeo) so I'm sure it can also respond to commands over the wireless network (since that's the way the APP works).  Finally, I've seen youtube vids that demonstrate how to set up the ROKU in the settings to link to other devices, and the options shown simply don't exist in the settings. So maybe my particular Roku device just isn't capable of doing the volume control. These devices don't cost a fortune and I'd be willing to buy another. But so far I don't have any actual answers to my question.  I wish there was a customer service number I could call to discuss the problem, but all CS links seem to point to this community board.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Since @Tivoburkee knows just about every remote Roku or not and which devices/features each is capable of, and other members throughout this forum are familiar with the various devices, you may find that if you post responses to the questions asked, you will find a solution to your issue.

If you provide the model numbers of your remote, your Roku Premiere, and your Vizio TV, then members can tell you how/if able to set up and control.

I personally have a Premiere 3921RW with a Voice Remote RC128 that came with device and includes volume controls on side (excluding mute).  Also use a $20 RCA universal streaming remote with this TV and Premiere.  App can control the Premiere but not volume.  App controls none of my TVs' volumes, even my Insignia Roku TV.

This is most likely why @Tivoburkee suggested the Voice Remote (there are diff model numbers) but you said you have Voice Remote.  However, sounds like you will need a Voice Remote model that has volume controls or need a Universal Streaming Remote.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660x, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941
Tivoburkee

The tv power, volume and mute buttons in the Roku app are for Roku tv's and Audio devices like Streamber or Soundbar. It can't control non-roku Tv's volume and power.

You want one remote that controls the Roku and your non-roku tv? As I posted you can buy the RC-AL7R from amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Roku-RCAL7R-Voice-Remote-New/dp/B07WVFCKSS/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=roku+...

Or go with rechargeable Voice Remote Pro:

https://www.amazon.com/Roku-Rechargeable-Controls-Listening-Hands-Free/dp/B0916RDGMD/ref=sr_1_4?dchi...

Both can be bought from Roku too:

https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/player

Edmund

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
peterpan321
Level 7

Thanks. Looks like your Premiere is a model above mine. Mine is model 3920X , and its s/n is YH00FY843766 (note I am assuming to two 0s after the YH are digits, not the letter 'O'. The device ID is K4203F843766 . I was mistaken about my remote, I thought it had voice control but it does not I may have been confusing it with the APP remote). I do not know what model remote I have, as it came with the ROKU, whose packaging I can't seem to find and may have been tossed. I'm sure it is an IR remote, and I guess its possible that if another remote can be used with my ROKU, one that is capable of somehow learning my TV's IR pattern for control of power and volume, that would work. But it seems I'm seeing videos showing how to set up the ROKU settings to offer volume control, and those setting just don't exist. The only "device" the ROKU can seem to find in the settings is the existing battery powered remote. So its is confusing.

I did notice in my TV's network settings (not the ROKU's, but the TV), that in addition to my regular home wi-fi network, the ROKU shows up as an access point! That made me wonder what would happen if I tried to "connect" the TV to the ROKU's apparently built in access point. But of course I did not have a password to supply to the TV to access that network, so I never got to know if this would have affected anything.

Anyway, I will poke around for another remote I can use with my ROKU that has the TV controls, and hopefully figure out whether it will do what I'm asking with my particular ROKU and TV before I buy. Thanks for the assist, and any other advise.

0 Kudos
peterpan321
Level 7

Thanks! I will buy and try that remote!

0 Kudos