Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marklyn
Reel Rookie

Can you use a universal remote with a Roku TV or streaming player?

I travel a lot and would like to have a universal remote that also works with my Roku Streaming Stick Plus. I know the remote works with some TV's (on/off/volume) but I want a universal remote to control other aspects of a tv too. 

Does the Roku Streaming Stick Plus use a proprietary signal that universal remotes cannot work with? If not, any recommendations would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: What universal remotes can work with my Roku streaming stick +?

@marklyn wrote:

Does the Roku Streaming stick plus use a proprietary signal that universal remotes cannot work with?

Yes, it uses Wi-Fi direct.  I'm not aware of any universal remote that does the same.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
can80an
Reel Rookie

If you always have a smartphone within reach of where you watch TV you could always use the Roku app.

marklyn
Reel Rookie

But how does that help with a given TV brand? I travel a lot so I need a universal remote for the Roku and a TV.

Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

The only universal remotes that will control a Roku Stick+ is expensive Harmony remote with hub, which is being discontinued and the prices are going up. 

Switch to roku express that takes IR remotes, and so a cheap $10 universal remote would control it. And be programmable for your tv. Express aren't that much bigger then the stick, its just that it'll need a hdmi cable. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
can80an
Reel Rookie

It doesn't help with a given brand, but you do appreciate that with each 'given brand' you have to reprogram the remote, and as you travel a lot, that could get annoying.  If you have to go to that bother, just reprogram the Roku Remote for each TV you encounter, or use the TV remote to turn TV on and set the volume.

Doesn't solve your problem, but I don't think a universal remote does either.  Just sayin'  🙂

0 Kudos
shajeer_shafna
Reel Rookie

Re: Can you use a universal remote with a Roku TV or streaming player?

Yes! If your Roku player or Roku built-in smart TV uses an IR sensor, then you can program GE universal remote to a Roku device using a universal code. The list of programming codes is available from the official websites of URZ and ByJasco.

But when you are using Roku devices with voice remote control, and having RF (Radio frequency) connection, you can't.

Use third-party remotes with the Roku built-in smart TVs like Hisense Roku TV, Insignia Roku TV, Sharp Roku TV, etc.

Reference : 

0 Kudos