Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lennysus
Reel Rookie

What is the command produced when long-pressing the OK button on the Roku remote?

The recently updated Spectrum app uses a long press of the Roku remote OK button to enable filtering of channel listings.  I would like to know the command the long press initiates so that I can try to mimic it on my Harmony remote.

4 REPLIES 4
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: What is the command produced when long-pressing the OK button on the Roku remote?

This is the first I've ever heard of a long press on the OK button doing anything other than performing the OK function. It's possible the remote isn't sending anything different than the OK function, but by detecting the long press doing something different in its programing. If your Roku remote using IR, you might be able to detect any change in the actual command issued by the remote using the learning function of your Harmony remote. But if your Roku uses a WiFi Direct remote, that won't work.

I just did a quick scan of the Roku developer's documentation site, and couldn't find anything about long press support. So it might be just as I supposed at the beginning. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Lennysus
Reel Rookie

Re: What is the command produced when long-pressing the OK button on the Roku remote?

Thanks so much for your response.  I apparently have a wifi Roku remote as I was unable to teach the Harmony hub using the remote.  I really appreciate your analysis regarding the long press, and suspect you are correct.  If I learn anything further, I'll update this thread.  

0 Kudos
tvonderhaar
Reel Rookie

My spectrum app updated today 9/15/22 and of course it breaks something new. It's a horrible app! My harmony remote sends a "ok" button  push for both short and long harmony button pushes. Harmony is sending BlueTooth command to Roku. The new spectrum app won't accept this "ok" response to set channel filters. I think Spectrum is DESPICABLE for braking this function for those of us using a harmony remote. Why they went out of their way to break this function seems suspicious. They really want to rent cable boxes.

0 Kudos
oleh_hryshchuk
Reel Rookie

Hi! I'm not sure if I got the question right, but I'll try to help.
You could use the "press" parameter in the OnKeyEvent and timerNode to set up the long press support. There is an event on the button release with "press=false" parameter. So you could try to play around with this and implement long press support for any button.
Start timer when "press=true", and stop timer on "press=false".

I hope that this info will help someone.

0 Kudos