Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MuhChicken
Level 8

What happened to Earbuds and speakers at the same time?

Jump to solution

I used to be able to listen to audio via the remote (like private listening) and also have the audio go through the receiver for others in the room, but when I tried it tonight it no longer works.  

This is a feature I have used quite a bit because I am hearing impaired.  I used to be able to plug the headphones into my Roku Ultra remote, press the volume up, up - down, down - up, up, up - down, down, down and the audio would return to the speakers and remain in the ear buds as well.  Now this feature no longer works!

Is this discrimination against the hearing impaired?

Dear Roku Support, please fix this and return this important feature.  I'm sure it has to do with the latest update because I've read in the community forums here that other people still have it working, but they also don't update their Roku with the latest updates.

If this cannot be fixed, how do I downgrade the firmware?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: What happened to Earbuds and speakers at the same time?

Jump to solution

@MuhChicken 

Thanks for the inquiry.

When using the Roku Private Listening feature on your remote, you will be unable to hear audio from your TV or receiver.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8\
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@MuhChicken 

Thanks for the inquiry.

When using the Roku Private Listening feature on your remote, you will be unable to hear audio from your TV or receiver.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
MuhChicken
Level 8

Jump to solution

Well, it used to work *(supported or not) and it would be a great feature to have returned.  This is the link where I found out about this and why I used it up until it just stopped working:

https://www.howtogeek.com/288177/how-to-listen-to-your-rokus-audio-on-headphones-and-speakers-at-the...

Thank you for responding and have a great day!

0 Kudos
msnowdowne
Level 7

Jump to solution

no response for this? this is a very important to people that are hard of hearing. why would this be removed.

0 Kudos
lizly
Level 7

Jump to solution

I am offended by your comment assuming it's a discrimination issue just because you are hearing impaired.  As a hearing impaired person and living with my 87 yr old father who is hearing impaired, I am tired of people using disability discrimination as an excuse for you not getting something.  

First, your article is from 2017, maybe you should do better research. There've been many updates to Roku and to the internet.  I've read that article and it is old news.  You should read the other messages about this issue and you would have know that there is an issue with a update and Roku is trying to correct the problem.  Maybe you should have checked with Roku before you went to a 3rd party website Howtogeek.com and you would have received a better answer.  

Stop using a disability as an excuse to be nasty, people don't want to hear it.  I am tired of people treating me like **bleep** because of people like you!!! 

msnowdowne
Level 7

Jump to solution

what a load of **bleep**. 3 years and the only response is : yeah.... nope. you being offended is perfectly fine, that doesn't mean you can operate a business and not give a **bleep** after 3 years of the same accessability problem.

0 Kudos
lizly
Level 7

Jump to solution

Msnowdowne, I was not responding to your post I was responding to chicken guys post so what you're saying means nothing to me.

0 Kudos
MuhChicken
Level 8

Jump to solution

This feature was very beneficial when it worked and to this day I still miss it.

0 Kudos
boogernose
Level 18

Jump to solution

There should be a workaround

somebody should make a Feature Request.

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.