Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ikjadoon
Level 7

What TV brands/models does the Enhanced Remote support?

Hi! This text is a bit of an ominous, yet vague warning on the Enhanced Remote support page:

Some Roku Enhanced Remotes incorporate both wireless and Infra-Red (IR) technologies to seamlessly control your Roku streaming player and aspects of your TV. Once you set up your Roku player and Roku Enhanced Remote, you can control volume and power on/off for select TV brands and models.

But it never lists what these compatible brands and models are! I just got off chat with Roku Support and "Chrissy" said they didn't know (well, then...). Does anyone know? I'm looking to see if it will work on a Pioneer PRO-111FD Elite (circa 2013). The TV's own remote can control other devices via codes, but can the TV itself be controlled by Roku's Enhanced Remote? Has anyone tried with 2013 Pioneer plasmas? No sound system, no receiver: just literally the TV on and TV volume. 

Thank you all in advance; this forum is a godsend. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Basil
Level 10

Re: What TV brands/models does the Enhanced Remote support?

What Roku are you talking about? You see, there have been different remotes called "enhanced remote" over the years. The remote with the Roku 3, for instance, doesn't control TV. The one that came with the Premiere doesn't either. But the one that came with the new Ultra seems to.

https://www.roku.com/accessories/remotes

The page you linked tells how to test it. But, since you haven't done that, are we to assume you don't have an enhanced remote? Or did you try and the results didn't show anything?

By the way, it only offers 8 codes for my TV, and doesn't work. Of course, I'm using a sound system and not the output of the TV speakers, so that might be the issue.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
Sgooter
Level 7

Per Roku, the Roku Ultra 4660 (2017) includes the newest Enhanced Remote with Power and Volume buttons to control a TV.
The Roku Ultra 4640 (2016) is packaged with a different Enhanced Remote, which is unable to control a TV.
Roku should not have labeled/designated both models as Ultras because they're different in a couple of ways. Would have been better to call the newest one Ultra 2.
Life is good in a 4-dot world.
0 Kudos
MrDifficult
Level 7

Theoretically, any TV that is connected via HDMI and supports CEC.  For yours, it sounds like it utilizes a universal remote of some sort (programmable IR), so maybe no go.
0 Kudos
beq
Level 8

The new Roku remotes under OS 8 seem to default to using IR to control TV power/volume, which does have much broader TV compatibility than HDMI CEC support.  But I too am curious who's IR code database Roku is using?

P.S.  Roku's Secret Platform Screen lets you toggle between IR vs CEC (or to query AVR/soundbar vs TV)...
0 Kudos
ikjadoon
Level 7

I apologize I missed these replies. Somehow I wasn’t subscribed to the thread automatically.

Yes, I bought the 4660X. Exactly; kind of a land mine to avoid the older one.

Ah, not a universal remote. But just a fancy TV remote. It’s the stock remote, but it can control a few other things. But probably not a Roku

I ended up testing it. I believe my PRO-111FD does have HDMI CEC.

I was going to return it if it didn’t work, but it did! I can confirm that it works with mine and thus probably most 2013 Pioneer plasmas will work. Thank you to everyone for your replies. I apologize for the delay Smiley Sad
0 Kudos
Doppelganger
Level 7

I'd love to know as well if the list of compatible TVs exists for using with the newer enhanced remotes.
I'm considering buying the new 4k streaming stick+ and want to know if it'll work with the LeEco brand tv I have in my bedroom.
I love the Roku included controls for power/vol since that is all I need from it to be able to use the Roku remote exclusively.
Any help is appreciated. Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
ikjadoon
Level 7

Roku support never got back to me, unfortunately. Smiley Sad I think it's a sad case of needing to buy & test individually if they've not covered our models since they don't seem to have a general scheme.
0 Kudos