Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rwlake
Level 7

Volume buttons change display settings and activate USB port on Sharp TV

Good morning all, I have tried two different brand new Roku Streaming Sticks with my Sharp 55" Class 4K (2160p) HDR Smart LED TV (LC-55P6000U) purchased from Walmart in November 2017. Rokus were both purchased from Amazon and the current one S/N is YF00GY725002.

Each time I set up the Roku remote to control the TV volume, the Roku remote "UP" volume button changes the source to the USB port in addition to increasing the volume and the "DOWN" volume button changes the display settings (Sport vs. Movie vs. Vibrant, etc.) in addition to lowering the volume.

When intially setting it up, the Roku does not automatically recognize the TV so I have to manually select the Sharp brand. After that the music comes on, does not go off with the first code, but does go off with the second. 

I have tried it with and without CEC disabled on the TV and with and without one touch disabled in Roku settings.

I have tried it with the Roku plugged into both the HDMI1 and HDMI3 ports.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. 

Thanks, 
Russell

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
18 Replies
Basil
Level 10

Re: Volume buttons change display settings and activate USB port on Sharp TV

Let’s narrow down some things.

First, have you tried all the buttons on the remote to see if any other weirdness is there?

Next, doesn’t the Roku app for Android and iOS have volume controls now? (Can’t check at the moment.) If so, does using the app cause the same issue?

Finally, can you disable the USB input via the TV menu? If so, what impact does that have? Is it toggling to the next input?
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
rwlake
Level 7

Thanks for the additional questions.

All the other buttons seem to do what they are supposed to.

If there is a way to control the volume with the iOS app I don’t know how.

I have searched on my tv menu and online how to disable the USB port but to no avail. Even still I would still have the issue with it changing the display settings with the down button.
0 Kudos
rwlake
Level 7

Anyone with any ideas? Thanks!
0 Kudos
badlime
Level 7

Hey rwlake,

I have the exact same issue. Did you ever find a solution?
0 Kudos
rwlake
Level 7

Nope. I’ve just had to use my tv remote to control the volume and try to remember not to do it with the Roku remote.
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 8

firmware version?
0 Kudos
badlime
Level 7

8.1.1 build 6021-91
0 Kudos
badlime
Level 7

Russell,
I figured out a work around. I plugged the Roku into a Vizio tv. Programmed the volumn on that tv. Worked perfect. Then moved the Roku back to my Sharp tv and the volumn works perfectly. Not sure if it is just Vizio but give it a try. Takes two minutes.
0 Kudos
lzicc
Level 7

I have the same type of issue on my Sharp TV. My Samsung TV's work fine. I gave up on the Sharp and use 2 remotes. 
0 Kudos