Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Volume Control on Roku Premiere + remote

Just bought a new LG Smart TV and have a Roku Premiere+ that was used on the old, non-smart TV.  Since there is a volume control button on the side of the Roku remote, thought that I could use it to control volume on new TV.  It doesn't.  Working through settings, it tells me that the remote can't be used.  Why?  If the volume control is there, why can't it control the volume on my new Smart TV? What am I missing?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Level 20

Re: Volume Control on Roku Premiere + remote

The roku remote is a roku remote, the majority of the keys will only work with a roku that accepts wifi remote. If it was programmed to control the volume and power of the old tv, unless the new and old tv use the same IR code, you will need to reprogram the remote by going into the premiere plus settings, not the new tv settings. Go to settings> remote & other devices> remote> remote in use> program tv> follow prompts 

So you're going to have plug the premiere into the new TV, to do the above.

Edmund
0 Kudos
Level 7

Thanks for the quick reply!  

I'd already completed the steps you mentioned. Strange, in that your string read 'Go to settings>remote & other devices>remote>remote in use> PROGRAM TV> FOLLOW PROMPTS'.

When I go through the steps, the first four are like yours; but after >remote in use>, I get >"SET UP REMOTE FOR TV CONTROL>THE CURRENT REMOTE DOES NOT SUPPORT TV CONTROL"

I have no idea why my Roku remote control setting won't let me go to the same options as you mentioned.  Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Level 20

Can you tell me the model number of the premiere plus and the model number of the roku remote? Look in the battery compartment for Rc?

Edmund
0 Kudos
Level 20

If the remote has Roku tv written on it, it would pair with premiere but the volume keys would not work, it would put up message you got. If it were a rc-al5 remote. 

Edmund
0 Kudos
Level 7

Thanks again, appreciate it.

The Roku Premier + Model # 4630,  SN: 7KA71H520762.

The Remote  Model # RC-GR3  ,   SKU 3226000202

0 Kudos
Level 7

My remote doesn't have a "stamped" name "Roku" anywhere on the remote body.  It does have a cloth tag with the name "Roku" printed on it.

0 Kudos
Level 20

That remote has no IR on board like newer remotes, it controls your tv volume by hdmi-cec. Its roku commands mapped to the roku volume keys, when the roku sees these commands it puts out hdmi-cec signal over the hdmi cable to control the tv its connected with and only one its connected with. You don't have to program a tv brand because all tv's that accept hdmi-cec signal accept the SAME signal no matter what brand it is. 

Edmund
0 Kudos
Level 7

Unfortunately I'm not able to comprehend the technical parts of your last comment.   All I see is a volume control on my Roku remote that does not work.  As to the HDMI, the only thing I know is that the Roku control is hooked up to my smart tv by HDMI cable. I don't know what the "HDMI-cec signal" means.  I just think its wrong for Roku to have a remote with volume control that doesn't work with a brand new Smart TV, for whatever reason. Roku should provide me with a remote that works with my TV if they haven't provided one which does.

But I really appreciate your trying to help me on this issue. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Level 20

When your model of roku was released the volume keys did one thing it controlled the volume of the headphone jack on the remote itself, nothing more. Later do to update you can now control at the time certain models of tv via hdmi-cec. Which may be called something different with brand of tv you own. Sony calls Bravia sync, Mitsubishi calls it netcommand, panasonic viera link. It allows you to control more then one device via one remote. 

Its an old roku model, you can replace its remote with Voice remote that has IR on board and will control your tv volume. A headphone remote is $29.99, where headphoneless is $19.99. 

Edmund
0 Kudos