Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Voice search not working (different remote model paired)?

Jump to solution

I just got a roku premiere+ that comes with enhanced remote (based on the pairing button and volume controls on the side).  The remote works fine except for voice search.  When I press and hold the button for mic, say a command, it does nothing.  It just returns to home and highlighting "Streaming channels".

Is this a region thing, cause i've had enough of that region limitations from a lot of devices.  Also, i noticed that in the roku settings, the model of the paired remote is RC128, but looking physically at the remote battery compartment, the model is RC-AL2.  

Can anyone help me on this issue?

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: Voice search not working (different remote model paired)?

Jump to solution

@Quatebriga  Thanks for the note. Voice search is only supported in the US, Canada, and the United Kingdom at this time. https://support.roku.com/article/208756908-how-do-i-use-my-voice-to-search-and-control-my-roku-devic...

The use of VPNs is not supported, and discussion of VPNs is not permitted per the Roku Community Guidelines. Please review the Guidelines again prior to posting. 

We appreciate your interest in the feature, and will pass it along to the team. Thanks again for reaching out. 

Cheers,

Tanner 

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@charlieretief 

Thanks for the note.

Please be aware that Roku Search (including voice) is available in English in the following regions: Canada, the United Kingdom, and the United States. See more here: https://support.roku.com/article/208756908-how-do-i-use-my-voice-to-search-and-control-my-roku-devic...

We appreciate your interest and hope to expand our presence and platform offerings to additional locations in the future. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

0 Kudos
18 Replies
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

Remote model in the battery compartment never matches the code in the menu. Try re-pairing the remote to the roku and see if the voice search starts then. It could be controlling the roku by IR, in that case the voice search wouldn't work.

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Hi,

I have the same issue. Just bough Roku Streaming Stick+, Voice search button on remote always does nothing other than point me to Streaming Channels section. Tried repairing remote, factory reset Stick, removed batteries from remote, no change. What could be wrong, this is frustrating.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

The OP suggested they weren't in right region, where are you located?

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

EU, Slovenia. I do use VPN to NY for Roku.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

@Quatebriga  Thanks for the note. Voice search is only supported in the US, Canada, and the United Kingdom at this time. https://support.roku.com/article/208756908-how-do-i-use-my-voice-to-search-and-control-my-roku-devic...

The use of VPNs is not supported, and discussion of VPNs is not permitted per the Roku Community Guidelines. Please review the Guidelines again prior to posting. 

We appreciate your interest in the feature, and will pass it along to the team. Thanks again for reaching out. 

Cheers,

Tanner 

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Hi @RokuTannerD,

Thank you for quick reply. I will appreciate forwarding feature request upstream and I'll pay attention to community posting rules.

@RokuTannerD wrote:

Cheers,

Tanner 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Having bought 4 Roku Ultra units, you can understand my disappointment that the voice command option does not work here in South Africa. In addition to this the search command line is not showing up on the home screen. Please give some assistance here.

Regard

Charles

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@charlieretief 

Thanks for the note.

Please be aware that Roku Search (including voice) is available in English in the following regions: Canada, the United Kingdom, and the United States. See more here: https://support.roku.com/article/208756908-how-do-i-use-my-voice-to-search-and-control-my-roku-devic...

We appreciate your interest and hope to expand our presence and platform offerings to additional locations in the future. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

I live in the United States and am having the same issue. Can you please help? Roku phone support is not operable due to the situation, which sounds sketchy as people can work from home.