Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pkaboo1234
Roku Guru

Voice Remote Pro not responding to "Roku, turn off my TV"

Jump to solution

The roku voice remote pro  responds to all hands free commands except "hey roku turn my tv off" And "turn my tv on" Is it supposed to turn the tv on and off with hands free voice commands? I paired it with a LG TV. I use a Roku streaming stick.From what I can tell, so far, all of the other commands are working.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: voice remote pro not responding to all hands free commands

Jump to solution

Hi @pkaboo1234,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community regarding your Roku Voice Remote Pro not recognizing the voice command to turn your TV off.

Most voice commands are available for all devices. Since the remote uses an IR function to turn a non-Roku TV on and off, voice command isn't available to the TV on and off. This feature will only work when using a Roku TV. To turn the TV on and off, you'll use the physical remote button.

We've escalated your feedback to our remotes team. Perhaps an update will be made in the future to support this function.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please let us know.

Thanks,
Mary

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @pkaboo1234,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community regarding your Roku Voice Remote Pro not recognizing the voice command to turn your TV off.

Most voice commands are available for all devices. Since the remote uses an IR function to turn a non-Roku TV on and off, voice command isn't available to the TV on and off. This feature will only work when using a Roku TV. To turn the TV on and off, you'll use the physical remote button.

We've escalated your feedback to our remotes team. Perhaps an update will be made in the future to support this function.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please let us know.

Thanks,
Mary

pkaboo1234
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

The TV isn't a Roku TV. It's an LG and I use a Roku streaming stick plugged into the HDMI port in the back.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@pkaboo1234

Thanks for the post.

For clarification, is your remote able to control the power and volume of your current TV regularly?

With more information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
pkaboo1234
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I can control the volume and the TV On/Off features with the buttons on the remote. It doesn't control those features with voice commands. I was wondering if that's because it's not a Roku TV. I can pause programs, play programs, change to different Roku apps on my TV, ex. I can say "hey roku, go to Netflix" with voice commands and it changes to Netflix. The only thing I can't control with voice commands is TV on/off and volume. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@pkaboo1234

Thanks for the follow up.

This would appear to be a CEC issue with your TV. Have you made sure that the CEC is enabled on your TV?

For more information about CEC and the voice remote, visit our Support page here: Why is my Roku® voice remote not controlling power and volume on my TV?

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
mllive
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I would like to post the following:

ALL Roku Voice Remote Pro commands

explained as:

Does the Roku Voice Remote Pro support ALL the button commands, e.g. Up, Down, Right, Left, etc. plus a command such as "Text ,,," for entering text into a non/roku search field, so that a user can FULLY control a TCL/ROKU TV without ever touching the physical remote. ... I would have tried to ask ROKU directly or enter this into the community forum, but I did not have the privilege to do so. 

Thanks.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
pkaboo1234
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I'm not sure about the up/down left/right. I know you can say "hey roku" pause/play, raise/lower volume, command it to go to a certain show/app. However, I have found that certain TV's, like mine, don't support all of the options the remote offers. I have a basic no thrills TV that doesn't have HDMI ARC or CEC options so not all of the hands free options work for me. I have to manually do volume control for example. It may support those options you're inquiring about. I do love the private listening option, it works great and that is basically why I bought it. I have trouble hearing the volume on my TV when watching movies and this remote solved that. I have also found though, that using the private listening option drains the rechargable battery a lot quicker. But it's not a big deal. A full charge lasts about a week for me and then I just plug it in for a few hours and it's good to go. Sorry I couldn't be more help. 

0 Kudos
mllive
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Thanks to pkaboo1234. It sounds as though you are happy.

The Up, Down, etc. are controls for moving the ROKU active "pointer" around, and if they are not implemented in the Audio of the Voice Remote, then I think one needs to manually push the buttons to fully operate the ROKU set-top box. P.s. if I get the new remote, I'll probably also get a Magnetic USB cable so that it attaches whenever the Remote is "close" to the charger, minor thought.

0 Kudos
Yolirui54

Jump to solution

My remote control does not want to charge so I'm trying to put a new one natesan not let me do anything with the new one does it has the old one on there I need to know how to do it so can someone call me 209-756-5177 please

0 Kudos