Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lovely_shai89
Reel Rookie

Voice Remote Pro Volume Issues

Jump to solution

I just bought a voice remote pro since it has a rechargeable battery. Received it yesterday and paired it with my current Roku+tv. Everything works except the volume buttons even mute, I've tried repairing it, resetting my Roku and looked under the support options but there's no options for my tv brand (Sceptre). My regular voice remote works just fine so I don't understand why the newer one is having issues.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuAustin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Voice Remote Pro Volume Issues

Jump to solution

Hi @lovely_shai89

Thanks for posting to Community!

We may have a solution for the volume and power buttons on your Voice Remote Pro. 

With manufacturers producing various models, most TV brands have a number of remote codes. During the remote setup, your Roku player will attempt to narrow this list of possible codes on your specific TV brand and program the enhanced remote to the correct code. It is possible that the code programmed into your Roku enhanced remote when you heard the music stop only contains commands to control either volume or power, but not both. Using a different code for the TV brand may work to control both volume and power.

To have your Roku player try additional remote codes, restart the setup process for your Roku enhanced remote and alter the steps as follows:

1. When you first hear the music stop and are asked “Did the music stop playing?”, do not answer the question. Instead, turn the volume back up with your TV remote until the music is audible again.

2. Now, answer the question with No, and your Roku player will move on to try the next remote code.

3. The next time you hear the music stop, answer the question with Yes, and your Roku enhanced remote will be programmed with the new code.

4. In rare cases, you may need to repeat this process, answering No to multiple codes before you find a code that controls both volume and power. 

If you want to dive in to this feature and more troubleshooting, check our handy article here: https://support.roku.com/article/360004786894

If you're still running into hiccups, we want to learn more. Let us know your Sceptre TV's model number and we'll check in with our remote folks to see if we can get you some more information.

Cheers,

Austin

Happy Streaming!

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Try telling it you have a Sony instead? 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
nango17

Jump to solution

It sounds like you might need to setup TV controls. If you go to: 
Settings > Remotes and Devices > Remotes > Voice Remote Pro > Set up remote for TV control there is a flow you can follow that will program your remote to use IR commands. I just checked my Roku and I see Sceptre in the list. 

Note, this is only guaranteed to setup the TV on/off and volume + mute  buttons. If you want to control your TV with hands-free and you find it's not working after going through this process, you will need to make sure CEC is enabled in your TV settings.  Not all TVs have this, so you'll need to consult your TV manual. 

Though Sceptre isn't listed, you may find this article helpful for how to find this setting and what it's called on other TV brands. Unfortunately, there is no standard name for this setting.  https://support.roku.com/article/360034303013

If you still have trouble Roku customer support may be able to help dig deeper. 

Good luck! 

RokuAustin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Hi @lovely_shai89

We may have a solution for the volume and power buttons on your Voice Remote Pro. 

With manufacturers producing various models, most TV brands have a number of remote codes. During the remote setup, your Roku player will attempt to narrow this list of possible codes on your specific TV brand and program the enhanced remote to the correct code. It is possible that the code programmed into your Roku enhanced remote when you heard the music stop only contains commands to control either volume or power, but not both. Using a different code for the TV brand may work to control both volume and power.

To have your Roku player try additional remote codes, restart the setup process for your Roku enhanced remote and alter the steps as follows:

1. When you first hear the music stop and are asked “Did the music stop playing?”, do not answer the question. Instead, turn the volume back up with your TV remote until the music is audible again.

2. Now, answer the question with No, and your Roku player will move on to try the next remote code.

3. The next time you hear the music stop, answer the question with Yes, and your Roku enhanced remote will be programmed with the new code.

4. In rare cases, you may need to repeat this process, answering No to multiple codes before you find a code that controls both volume and power. 

If you want to dive in to this feature and more troubleshooting, check our handy article here: https://support.roku.com/article/360004786894

If you're still running into hiccups, we want to learn more. Let us know your Sceptre TV's model number and we'll check in with our remote folks to see if we can get you some more information.

Cheers,

Austin

Happy Streaming!

microtyger
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Tyvm!! This worked. 👍 Mine was doing exactly the same thing. There are no directions that Roku provides for this setup! Mine was absolutely BLASTING the room! 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
lovely_shai89
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@RokuAustin wrote:

Hi @lovely_shai89

Cheers,

Austin

Sorry I'm so late responding, but this worked. Thank you!!! 

0 Kudos
mtforeman

Jump to solution

I have this same problem.

However, when the music "stops" playing, it doesn't ask/allow me to answer yes or no, it just jumps ahead and says I am set up, so I have no way of moving to another code. 

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @mtforeman,

If you are still experiencing an issue with your Roku remote not able to control volume and power, please provide us with the following information:
-Roku device model
-serial number
-device ID
-software OS/version
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-remote model (Settings > Remotes and Devices > Remotes > select the remote > About > Model)
-TV brand and model number

If you have already provided us with the information we have requested after updating your device, we have passed along the information to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Many thanks,

Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos