Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Use voice remote to search for YouTube, Prime Video content?

Sorry in advance if this has been asked 100 times before ... I recently purchased a Roku Streaming Stick+ for my elderly mother.  I decided upon the Stick+ mainly because of the remote's voice capability.  She's having difficulty using the remote for navigation, I assume to search for content such as YouTube videos on certain subjects, etc.  I've done a bit of research which may indicate that the voice button cannot be used for search in the Prime Video &/or YouTube apps.  Surely this can't be true!  If it is, will she have to peck around on-screen and type her search strings one character at a time?  The only apps I envision her using for now are Netflix, Prime Video and YouTube.  Note also that she does not have a smartphone, thus cannot use the Roku remote app (if there is such a thing).  Thanks in advance (not a Roku owner or I'd test this myself). Smiley Happy

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Level 16

Re: Use voice remote to search for YouTube, Prime Video content?

@milehiguy wrote:

Sorry in advance if this has been asked 100 times before ... I recently purchased a Roku Streaming Stick+ for my elderly mother.  I decided upon the Stick+ mainly because of the remote's voice capability.  She's having difficulty using the remote for navigation, I assume to search for content such as YouTube videos on certain subjects, etc.  I've done a bit of research which may indicate that the voice button cannot be used for search in the Prime Video &/or YouTube apps.  Surely this can't be true!  If it is, will she have to peck around on-screen and type her search strings one character at a time?  The only apps I envision her using for now are Netflix, Prime Video and YouTube.  Note also that she does not have a smartphone, thus cannot use the Roku remote app (if there is such a thing).  Thanks in advance (not a Roku owner or I'd test this myself). Smiley Happy

Oh, but it CAN be true.  Each channel creates, provides, and maintains its own app to stream their channel to the Roku, as well as deciding and programming its features. Roku only provides the platform on which the 3rd party channel apps run.  To support Roku's voice search capability, the channel must have this capability programmed into it, and as far as I know, the only one that has this programmed in at this point is Roku's own The Roku Channel. 

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi LivRm - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi BedRm - JVC EM37T
  • Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi GstRm - Sanyo DP26640
  • Roku 2 XD, 3050X (collecting dust in a drawer)
Highlighted
Level 7

Aheeii!  Thanks for the info @makaiguy.  Sooo, let's use Netflix as an example ... from the Roku main menu, if she were to use the voice button on the remote and say, for instance, "The King's Speech" ... that even though this film is available on Netflix, that saying this would yield no results?  Same result if she said this while in the Netflix app?  Same result for Prime Video and YouTube content?  Just trying to make sure I understand the limitations here.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16

I have the Streaming Stick + with the voice remote but I hadn't played with voice search at all, so just for you, tonight I did.

There's a button on the remote with an icon of a microphone.   The mic is only active while this button is depressed.

A command of "Load Netflix", "Go to Netflix", or even just "Netflix" results in the Roku displaying "Launching Netfix" and in a second or two I'm at the Netflix home screen.  It works the same whether I'm on the Roku home page or viewing a different channel's home page at the time.  If I'm actually watching a program on another channel it pops up an overlay saying it's leaving the station and giving me a few seconds to abort the change.

If I give the command to find a program e.g "King Kong",  it initates a search for the title and if found presents a list of search hits with the top entry highlighted and a thumbnail representing that choice to the right.  Change the selection with the arrow keys or by voice command ("King Kong 2017").  When the one you want is highlighted, press OK or the right-arrow key to select it and you'll get a list of the channels carrying that program. You can choose your channel via voice command or by selecting with the arrow keys.  Either way it will just load the channel to its normal entry screen, but not load the program - you'll have to find it and start it yourself.

If you issue a program search while within a channel, it does not search within that channel, it dumps you back out to the which-channels-carry-it search, even if the channel you are on carries that program.

And my previously mentioned understanding that program search only worked in The Roku Channel seems to be wrong - it dumped me out to the system search from there too.

This isn't really voice-related, but also note that the index searched is not all-inclusive.  I don't know if stations pay to be listed, have to set up some sort of automatic interface with their listings, or what, but programs on the lesser stations often don't show up.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi LivRm - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi BedRm - JVC EM37T
  • Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi GstRm - Sanyo DP26640
  • Roku 2 XD, 3050X (collecting dust in a drawer)
0 Kudos