Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Use Roku Streaming Stick in Viet Nam with no remote

Jump to solution

I have roku streaming stick. Now I am in vietnam for my bussiness. 

But I forgot my remote in Tampa to test my roku device in Viet Nam.

Please help me to check my roku device can be used in foreign countries,

and how to active my device without remote.

Thanks for all help. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 20

Re: Use Roku Streaming Stick in Viet Nam

Jump to solution

It is impossible to use a Stick without the remote. The Stick models don't support IR remotes, so you must have the Roku remote to connect the Stick to a network. Once it's connected to a network, then you can use an app on your iOS or Android device to control the Stick. But you must have the remote to get it connected in the first place.

Next, if your Roku account is registered somewhere besides Vietnam, you will have problems using channels that are regionally restricted (which most are). Channels such as Netflix, Prime Video, The Roku Channel only work when the Roku user account is located in a supported country AND the Roku device is located in the same country. 

Now, will your Roku work in foreign countries? Certainly, no problem there as long as the power supply is connected to the proper voltage. However, as mentioned most channels are geo-restricted and what you want to watch might not be available where you are located. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Highlighted
Level 20

Re: Use Roku Streaming Stick in Viet Nam

Jump to solution

It is impossible to use a Stick without the remote. The Stick models don't support IR remotes, so you must have the Roku remote to connect the Stick to a network. Once it's connected to a network, then you can use an app on your iOS or Android device to control the Stick. But you must have the remote to get it connected in the first place.

Next, if your Roku account is registered somewhere besides Vietnam, you will have problems using channels that are regionally restricted (which most are). Channels such as Netflix, Prime Video, The Roku Channel only work when the Roku user account is located in a supported country AND the Roku device is located in the same country. 

Now, will your Roku work in foreign countries? Certainly, no problem there as long as the power supply is connected to the proper voltage. However, as mentioned most channels are geo-restricted and what you want to watch might not be available where you are located. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post