Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rwhewitt
Level 9

Use Roku 2 remote with Roku Ultra?

Can I use my old Roku 2 XS remote with my new Roku Ultra? Do I need to do anything to the remote to make it work with the Roku Ultra? Would be nice to have a second operative remote as a backup.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
DBDukes
Level 10

Re: Use Roku 2 remote with Roku Ultra?

"rwhewitt" wrote:
Can I use my old Roku 2 XS remote with my new Roku Ultra?  Do I need to do anything to the remote to make it work with the Roku Ultra?  Would be nice to have a second operative remote as a backup.

No. The Roku 2 XS used a Bluetooth remote. It was the only Roku device to use that type of remote. The other wireless/non-IR remotes from Roku are all WiFi Direct.

Both the Roku 2 XS and Roku Ultra (as well as any Roku that's not a Stick) will also respond to IR commands, so a Roku Standard (IR) remote, or a cheap universal remote that supports Roku, would be a good backup for either.

Also, don't refer to Roku 2 XS simply as "Roku 2" as you did in the title. There are many differences between models that included "Roku 2" in the name, as well as a couple of different devices that were called simply "Roku 2" with no letter suffix. Thinking of all devices with "Roku 2" in the name will cause confusion, as you can see by the remote in this case. If you had, in the body, simply said "Roku 2" instead of "Roku 2 XS" the answer would have been yes. Which would have been wrong. Also, model number is helpful, as Roku also had different devices with the same name but different capabilities. Editing your title to include the XS would be helpful for others.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos