Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EricH803

Unpair remote to my TV

I have a streaming stick plus plugged into my hdmi port. I originally set up the remote to pair with my tv so it could control the power and volume. I now have a sound bar and the roku remote paired to it and can control the volume. I only want to use the sound bar and not the tv volume since when I use the volume on the roku remote, it turns up the volume for both the sound bar and the TV. How can I unpair the remote with the TV so the roku only controls the sound bar?
0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
Misti614

Re: Unpair remote to my TV

I am having the same issue. I have unpaired and paired the remote 3 times and it still wont connect to my home theater system..... only the sound on the tv. So if anyone has the answer I would really appreciate it!!!

0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Hi there, 

Thanks for the question here. A couple things to note. 

Roku remotes with TV power and volume controls are designed to control your TV's power and volume, not a connected audio/video receiver. You can see more here: https://support.roku.com/article/115013019828-how-do-i-set-up-my-roku-enhanced-remote-to-control-my-...

The ability to control a connected audio receiver requires your TV to support HDMI CEC, and send these volume commands to your connected receiver. HDMI CEC would need to be enabled on your TV and A/V receiver. 

You might also check to see if you've enabled 1-touch play in Settings>System>Control other devices, and try enabling/disabling this feature. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
MLemire

This still doesn’t say how to unpair the remote. I don’t want the roku remote to control the tv. It did it automatically, it should have a simple unpair button in settings. Bad user experience. Please share how to unpair, as resetting the roku and remote didn’t fix this auto feature not everybody wants. 

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

You can't unpair it, you can only pair to different tv so won't control your current tv anymore. You don't have to have second tv to do this, go into the remote programming to program tv, skip any positive results by lying and clicking no, only click yes when it doesn't mute the sound. 

settings> remote & devices> remote> remote in use> program tv> now start lying!

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Tom92009

Tried the following but after I select no for hearing sound the only options are try again or cancel.

0 Kudos

You have to select yes which is part of the solution mentioned above. There should be an option to reset the pairing completely which wasn't a thought out use case. I unpaired and reset the remote several times and it still turned off my TV. Very frustrating.

0 Kudos
LadiCair

I have the same problem. I originally set up my Roku Express 4k to pair with my NS-LCD32 Insignia TV. The problem is that I can power the TV on and off, but the Roku does not power on at the same time. Sometimes it takes two or three presses of the power button to get both on at the same time, sometimes I can power the TV on and then quickly press the power button again to get the Roku to turn on, but most often I end up having to keep pressing the power button and just hope the two eventually power on at the same time. This morning I could NOT get the Roku to connect at all (possibly a wi-fi issue). Either way, I want the remote to work ONLY for the Roku -- I want to use the original TV remote to power it on and adjust the volume. What is the easiest way to do that?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Stop pressing the power key on the Roku remote plain and simple. The power key is only for tv's anyways. Use your tv remote to power the tv and cjhange to right tv input for the roku, then just start using the roku remote and press the HOME key if it needs to be awakened. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Purson

The issue you have is that HDMI CEC is disabled when you set up the remote to control your TV, volume and power now become commands to your tv and volume is no longer controlled on the HDMI cable. You must go into settings/advanced settings/reset enter the code they give you, reset your Roku and begin setup from scratch. I found that the remote was still controlling the TV until I got far enough in the setup to choose not to control my tv and after setup was complete, I could again control the volume on my receiver, but not the power or volume on my tv. Good luck! 

0 Kudos