Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lizzybeth
Level 7

Universal remote control issues

I recently had to buy a universal remote because my last one just randomly stopped working. I’ve had the new remote less than 3 weeks and it has stopped working. Input please and thank you 

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2\
StreamerUser
Level 20

Re: Universal remote control issues

@Lizzybeth 

Perhaps the universal remote you bought was too cheap?

You can get an official $20 Voice Remote (RCAL7R) or $30 Voice Remote Pro (RCS01R) at Walmart/Best Buy/Amazon/etc or from Roku.com.

https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/player

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Universal remote control issues

Well, if it's not a Roku remote, there isn't much help you can get here. Since a universal remote uses IR to communicate with the Roku, make sure there's nothing blocking the IR sensor on the front of the Roku. You can test your remote to see if it's working by pointing a digital camera (like what a cell phone has) at the front of the remote and pressing any button. If you see a flashing light in the camera viewfinder, then the IR remote is functioning. Since it's a universal remote, make sure it's still using the correct Roku code. If it changed itself to control a Sony or Samsung (for example), then it won't control the Roku anymore. Many universal IR remotes have a switch to tell the remote which device you want to control. Make sure it's set correctly. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos