Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Universal Remote

Jump to solution

Is there a universal remote with keyboard that works with Roku?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Remote

Jump to solution

Short answer: no.

More detailed response: it doesn't matter what buttons a remote might have. If the device being controlled isn't programmed for it, the buttons will do nothing. Roku has not programmed their devices to recognize any button that isn't included in a normal Roku remote. 

Also, the sort of remote you are referring to would likely only be IR, and that too will restrict the number of different buttons that can be pressed. Most remotes with keyboards I've seen for other devices use Bluetooth as the connection. Roku has only had one player in their history with a BT remote, the 2 XS. The latest Ultra and the soundbars support Bluetooth, but only the audio streaming protocol. They cannot use a BT remote. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
atc98092

Re: Remote

Jump to solution

Short answer: no.

More detailed response: it doesn't matter what buttons a remote might have. If the device being controlled isn't programmed for it, the buttons will do nothing. Roku has not programmed their devices to recognize any button that isn't included in a normal Roku remote. 

Also, the sort of remote you are referring to would likely only be IR, and that too will restrict the number of different buttons that can be pressed. Most remotes with keyboards I've seen for other devices use Bluetooth as the connection. Roku has only had one player in their history with a BT remote, the 2 XS. The latest Ultra and the soundbars support Bluetooth, but only the audio streaming protocol. They cannot use a BT remote. 

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
makaiguy

Re: Universal Remote

Jump to solution

Alternate solution for users of cell phones or other portable devices with wifi connections.

Install the Roku app for Android or iOS on your mobile device.  This can connect to any Roku that is on the same local network as the mobile device and provide remote control of the Roku, plus add the ability to type input on the mobile device's keyboard instead of that miserable keyboard grid on the Roku.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
DrummerDan
Reel Rookie

Roku universal Remote for Roku Express

Jump to solution

Is there a Roku that will operate:

1. TV power 

2. Soundboard volume (Bose) 

3. Roku?

I just bought an express. Should I buy a universal remote or upgrade to a different Roku?

Thanks 

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Re: Roku universal Remote for Roku Express

Jump to solution

@DrummerDan 

There's the One-For-All urc-7935 Streamer remote, really cheap on ebay. It's one device remote that can control three components, TV's, Soundbar's, and Streamers. Different part of the remote are for different devices. 

P1010420 (2).JPG

one-for-all urc-7935: Search Result | eBay

Edmund

I am not a Roku employee.
DrummerDan
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku universal Remote for Roku Express

Jump to solution

Thanks very much.  Prior to seeing your message I ordered a Sofa Baton R2 on Amazon. Free returns so if it doesn't work out I'll take a look at the one you suggested.  

0 Kudos