Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DLandNB
Level 7

Universal Remote that can launch Apps by name

Can someone recommend a universal remote that can assign a button to launch a specific Roku channel?  I'm using a TCL 5-Series Roku TV and my Harmony 650 will launch Netflix or Prime (the command is called "Amazon"), but not Disney+, Spotify, YouTube, CraveTV or any other channel. I'm wondering if the Harmony Companion might have more commands available.  I'm not looking to use a sequence of directional keys followed by "selecting" the channel.  Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Universal Remote that can launch Apps by name

UEI made universal remotes like the Inteset 422-3 and the One-For-All urc-7880 accept 5 digit codes for individual functions like apps. Using tcl tv code 14398 in the UEI remote these are the known commands:

00019 Fandango now
00017 Slingtv
00146 vudu
00110 roku media player
00156 amazon
00096 netflix
00097 you tube
00090 cbs news
00099 google play
00189 rdio
00161 hbo
00157 showtime
00093 pandora
00255 yupp tv
00094 input
00238 hdmi 1
00240 hdmi 2
00236 hdmi 3
00231 av input
00254 options
00092 home
00120 pluto tv
00121 roku ch
00124 cbs all access
00125 boomerang
00126 fubo tv
00127 tune in
00151 hulu
00212 spotify
00213 starz
00215 vue
00218 crackle 
00139 disney+
00140 dazn sports
00053 apple tv
00135 zoom tv for kids

To map trhem to a key on the UEI remote:

1. press and hold set/magic for two blinks
2. enter 9 9 4
3. tap set/magic for one blink
4. enter 5 digit code
5. pick a key

Once its mapped to key on the UEI remote you can use it to teach your other universal remotes the commands. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Tivoburkee

The Roku ultra remote has a 1 & 2 key you can memorize a voice searches to, the UEI will give access to three keys you can memorize to, call them 1,2, & 3. The 5 digit codes for them are:

00038  "1"

00040 "2"

00042 "3"

To use these you will need a remote with microphone key initially, say something in to the mike, if you like the results, press the 1, 2, 3 on the uei unversal to capture and hold said search. You can teach these commands to other universals, the actual search is memorized by ruku itself, the 1,2,& 3 just recalls them. It works on Roku tv's. 

Edmund

0 Kudos
DLandNB
Level 7

Is it just the two remotes that support this kind of programming?  I'm in Canada and the prices on these two seem to be inflated vs American pricing. 

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

There is website called jp1, they hack UEI made remotes, so you might just have remote you can load with proper device code already. 

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/

Edmund

0 Kudos
renojim

Wouldn't it just be easier to use the Roku app on your phone or tablet?  If you have an Amazon Echo device you could look into the Roku skill.  I believe you can launch some, but not all, channels with it.  The Harmony Hub is another idea.  I hate Harmony remotes, but you can get it to launch a few different channels using their "activities" or whatever they call them.

0 Kudos
DLandNB
Level 7

The 

@renojim wrote:

Wouldn't it just be easier to use the Roku app on your phone or tablet?  If you have an Amazon Echo device you could look into the Roku skill.  I believe you can launch some, but not all, channels with it.  The Harmony Hub is another idea.  I hate Harmony remotes, but you can get it to launch a few different channels using their "activities" or whatever they call them.

The Echo device is mostly useless.  It can turn the TV off/on, switch to *some* Roku channels, and increase/decrease volume by 1.  It won't do any kind of search and won't switch to some channels we use the most (e.g. Netflix).  The mobile app doesn't control my receiver (which any universal remote can do). 

0 Kudos