Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JenkinsEar
Binge Watcher

Why is my remote no longer pairing to my TV?

Jump to solution

I recently moved a Roku Ultra which was working fine in one room to another TV in another room (let's call the old Room 'A', and the new room 'B').  After doing the associated setup in room B, the Ultra is working just fine,with its remote.  I had a Streaming Stick+ in room B connected to a TV there which was working just fine.  Took it to Room A, and its remote will no longer pair.  Couple of observations:

1.  The stick just continuously double-flashes - what is that signalling?

2.  As soon as batteries are put in the remote, the pairing light begins flashing (no pairing button press required).  Instructions regarding pairing always seem to call out having to press the button - is my remote operating correctly?

3. If I disconnect and then reconnect the HDMI cable to the TV, I get the bouncing "Roku" and then I end up at a screen showing three images of a remote with its cover off.  The middle image shows the pairing light OFF, and an a clock (?) reading ":03".  Have no idea what it's trying to tell me, but it really doesn't matter - no matter what I do, or what order I do it, that's as far as I ever get.  The only sign of life at that point is the double-flashing of the power (?) light on the stick.

Note that this is the same stick and remote that was working just fine originally in room B.

4. I am getting the same results with another remote I happened to have handy.

5.  I have reset router for house, to no avail.

I'm guessing it may be having problem getting connected, but I know way to control which SSID it may be trying to use.

Beyond that, I haven't a clue as to what to do next.  Help.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Re: Remote

Jump to solution

Thanks for the note. 

You'll want to start here to troubleshoot issues with your wireless remote: https://support.roku.com/article/208755708-how-do-i-resolve-problems-with-my-roku-enhanced-point-any...

Restarting your Roku device, and your wireless router/modem is a great first step. Replacing the batteries in your remote can help. Changing the wireless broadcast channel on your wireless router, to one that isn't in use by another nearby wireless network, can reduce wireless interference and be extremely effective in improving remote functionality.  

Thanks,

Tanner

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
46 REPLIES 46
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Unable to pair

Jump to solution

Hi,

Thanks for letting us know about the issue that you are experiencing.

When you restart your device and reach the screen with the three images with the remote and a clock, the device is asking for you to pair your remote. At this time, you should place the batteries into your remote and hold the pairing button for 3 seconds in order to pair your remote to the device.

For more troubleshooting steps regarding your remote, please visit our support page How do I set up my Roku® enhanced "point-anywhere" remote? 

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
JenkinsEar
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I have tried that, with two remotes, and nothing happens.

First of all, the graphic on that screen implies that the pairing light will be OFF until I press the pairing button.  On both remotes I've tried, the pairing light starts flashing as soon as the second battery is inserted.

Secondly, when I press the pairing button, the light continues to flash, and nothing happens on the screen. The power light on the stick continues to double flash.

What next?

And don't forget: This remote and stick were paired just fine until I moved the stick into a different room.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi,

Thanks for the information there. Have you tried all the troubleshooting steps outlined in our support page in my previous post?

If you are still having issues with your remote after trying the steps outlined, please send me a PM with your Roku account email and your device serial number and I will assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi Danny, I'm experiencing the exact same issue to the letter. I've tried all troubleshooting options to no avail. Any advice you can offer?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@seanobannon13 

Thanks for letting me know about the issue that you are experiencing.

Please feel free to send me a PM with your Roku account email and device serial number. I will assist your further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

A couple other questions here: 

- Which model of Roku Streaming Stick are you referring to? 

- Is your wireless network set up on a single router, or are you using a mesh networking solution that involves multiple wireless access points in your house? 

If your streaming stick is having trouble connecting to your wireless network for some reason, you will likely encounter issues pairing your remote.

- If you use the free Roku Mobile app as a remote, are you able to connect to your Streaming Stick?

With more information, we can continue assisting you from there. 

Thanks! 

Tanner

0 Kudos
JenkinsEar
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Stick Model:     No longer sure - thought it was Streaming Stick+, but won't swear to that.  Serial # is
                         C13949300772

We do have multiple access points in house.

Using iPad, downloaded and installed one of the many Roku remote apps that are in Apple Store - don't know which one you're citing.  At any rate, the app does not see the stick, and I tried in multiple locations.  No matter where I am, the app sees the other 4 Rokus in the house, and they are on different access points, to a single router.

Also installed the Roku app on Android phone.  It, too, sees all the Rokus except the stick in question.  

Instructions say to make sure the Roku is on same network as control, but I don't see any way to control the stick's network connection - what am I missing?

0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@JenkinsEar 

Thanks for confirming. I thought this may be the case. The link to our official app is listed in the support article I linked. You can also find it here for iOS: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/roku/id482066631

Your mobile device and your Roku must be on the same SSID in order to be able to 'see' each other. If they are on separate SSIDs (networks), this functionality will not work. There is also the possibility that if you are using a mesh networking system, some setting/configuration may be preventing this type of communication if each device is connecting to a different AP in the mesh system. 

I'd recommend trying to connect to whichever network the Streaming Stick was last connected to, and then trying to connect via your mobile device again. 

As far as the remote goes, I'd recommend unplugging your Roku device from power once more, and taking the batteries out of your remote. Plug the Roku back in, and allow it to start up completely. Then, trying moving closer to your Streaming Stick with the remote, and reinsert the batteries. The pairing light should start flashing immediately, as previously mentioned above. You should see an on-screen pairing dialogue appear from there. 

If that still isn't doing the trick, send me a private message with your Roku account email address and include your device's serial number. I'll follow up directly to see how else we can help. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
JenkinsEar
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Had a long reply typed but it disappeared.

Net of it is:

1. Roku control on iPad can't find stick, regardless of what access point the iPad is accessing the home network via.

2. Roku control on Pixel (Android) phone - same results

3. I have no idea as to what access point the stick was using before I moved it.

4. I have followed the recommended setup steps (power cycle, battery replacement, etc.) many times, to the letter - no joy.

5. I have reset the stick, using the Reset button (many times). Kept it pressed until it gave me three quick flashes - does that signal reset completion?

0 Kudos