Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MKE1

Re: UPDATE: Did your Roku remote lose volume and TV control after the latest update? Check here!

Jump to solution

When I go to Remotes & devices in Settings, my only option is "Set up a new device". Why are my options so limited? I can't just select "Remotes" to then select "Set up remote for TV control" per the instructions. I was previously able to turn my TV on and off with my Roku remote, but that feature randomly stopped working in the last few days.

Sadie_lynn8
Reel Rookie

Re: UPDATE: Did your Roku remote lose volume and TV control after the latest update? Check here!

Jump to solution

My remote just stopped giving me tv control access a few days ago and now it won’t connect. This is very frustrating. 

-what remote model (found in Settings > Remotes and Devices > Remotes > select the remote > About > Model): RC404
-software OS/version (found in Settings > System > About): 10.0.0 build 4209-50
-did your remote control the TV before?: yes 
-make and model of TV?: Emerson 
-are you connected to an AVR?: n/a

Mariluwho

Jump to solution

Model 3810x steaming stick

yh0029809433

v 10.0 build 420950

No volume control fo several days. Tried all reset instructions and no difference. 
Please help. 

knotprof

Jump to solution

Remote: Voice Remote RC490 Firmware 2.01.19.108

Software OS/Version: 10.0.0 Build 4209-50

My Roku remote used to control the TV power and volume; it started having issues with the volume, where there was a substantial delay but it still worked. Then it stopped controlling volume, however the Roku device would still be able to mute the TV on the device setup menu (Settings>Remotes & Devices>Remotes>my remote>Set up Remote for TV Control would still mute the TV, but the Remotes buttons would not). Then it stopped working altogether this evening (including the power button). I checked to make sure that no buttons are jammed, nothing is impairing the sensor on my TV, and the remote that came with the TV still works for it (but the Roku Voice Remote only controls Roku software now). There is a green indicator light on my TV sensor bar that flickers when it receives input and it is no longer flickering for the Roku Voice Remote. Perhaps the infrared signal is not being sent correctly?

Make/Model of TV: Sony Bravia BX421 40

Not connected to an AVR.

Tags (4)
jazzmankg
Reel Rookie

The Remote suddenly not controlling Volume or Mute buttons - Revisited for current users

Jump to solution

Although there has been several closed threads about this - mostly resolved by Roku Danny it should be noted that several of us were still long impacted by this issue after supposedly downloading the update fixes on this. And the Set Up Remote reset process "Do you hear a sound" Select yes, "Did it shut off" Select "No" is a little counterintuitive at first Smiley Happy

In my view, the issue is essentially like your Universal remote is suddenly knocked off your TV code - whether or not this was a result of some Roku update/change or not. To fix I would add this 2 cents

• Setting up old remote as a New Remote (repair via the button hidden in the battery cover)
  • Follow this solution referenced by Danny to run through the TV code process https://support.roku.com/article/115013019828
  • Sometimes it's difficult to get it to go the TV Brand option as noted in solution above . In this case continue to select No after the "Did the TV sound shut off" question. and it will run thru the TV codes manually
  • Be careful not to bypass a working code (you will likely see your volume slider or mute button suddenly reappear as engaged on your TV screen
0 Kudos
Kauradk

Jump to solution

Roku 3810X SN YH00AR047227

Software 10.0.0 4209-50

Voice remote RC-392

vizio

yes the remote worked to power the tv and volume yesterday and doesn’t work today. I keep trying to set up remote for tv control but it can’t find the right code. It only tries 8 codes, none work for this tv

Annwn
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Remote volume not working still on TV (works fine on headphones).  The last update - 10.0.0 - is what broke it.

Roku - 4200X on 10.0.0 build 4209-04

Remote - RC54 on firmware 2.01.17.468

I checked CEC options on my TV - those are setup fine. I repaired remote several times, both on screen and via startup.  This is not fixed per previous support posts.  Is this fixed next patch?

VAR
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

They have zero fix and it seems it continues to spread 

I just don’t under why some and not all

i gave 5 Roku devices in 2 locations and this only happened to 1 

0 Kudos
VAR
Roku Guru

Re: The Remote suddenly not controlling Volume or Mute buttons - Revisited for current users

Jump to solution

This fixed nothing I get a message stating my 3 year old Vizio TV is not a recognized brand or no longer supported 

0 Kudos
jazzmankg
Reel Rookie

Re: The Remote suddenly not controlling Volume or Mute buttons - Revisited for current users

Jump to solution

A Vizio remote solution is addressed here. It's from 3 years ago so this may apply to you.

My assumption is that you got to the TV brand part and found it giving you the message. The other way is to lie to the prompts and try to have it scroll thru TV codes manually

Just a note there is a discussion of the remote - "controlling everything" (i.e. touching any key on the Roku remote resulting in a Roku switch over. As I understand this is a separate option within the setup. It might actually interfere with the solution you are seeking if tell it not to control however. That would be the trade off. 

This whole issue is a bit of imperfect trade off. I for example am finding on the raise volume action not working with the code I've selected, while lower and mute work. So I may try another

0 Kudos