Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Fellachap
Level 7

UK returns under warranty - broken remote

I have have started a returns process because the remote is showing no element of life (tried all troubleshooting, new batteries etc..). I am in the UK and they have asked for me to send the whole unit back to them for a replacement. That's fine, but it appears that they are expecting me to pay shipping to get it to them. Obviously that breaks the law so can't believe that's true, but they didn't provide a pre paid shipping label and the address doesn't state it's a Freepost. I'm reluctant to post it with no postage as if it gets returned to me I will have to pay it to get it back. Anyone with experience of the UK returns process?

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8\
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: UK returns under warranty - broken remote

@Fellachap 

Thanks for the post.

For more information about our warranty process, visit our Support page here: What is Roku’s support policy?

If you need further assistance regarding your issue, please reach out to our support team directly here for your 'Account or billing' issue, here: https://support.roku.com/contactus. They will be able further assist you.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Fellachap
Level 7

Hi Danny,

Thanks for your reply. I have already reached out to them hence me questioning their response to me requesting to send the item back to them. I have continued to engage with them yet they are still refusing to answer the question as to whether it is a free service (as outlined in EU law) to send the device in. Normally you are either provided with a Freepost address or a prepaid shipping label. Neither have been provided.

The reason for asking on this forum was to get some consumer advice rather than the 'corporate line'.

0 Kudos
FotoDJ
Level 7

@Fellachap , did you ever get this resolved? I have a similar problem, and have been told to await an RMA before returning the unit to them. This has been dragging on for a month now, and Roku support have stopped responding,  despite asking me for feedback on my purchase!

0 Kudos
Fellachap
Level 7

@FotoDJ yes I did. I got a brand new unit sent to me without the need to send back the defective unit. They stated that I had to pay for it to be returned to them which I stated was in breach of EU law in regards to requiring businesses to replace defective items within two years of purchase at no cost to the consumer. As they could not provide me with a pre-paid label to send the unit back I said they then had to send a replacement for free...which they did. The key is that you can prove that you are within the two year window for free replacements. The wording I used that seemed to get them to change their mind was...

Under EU law, within the legal guarantee period of two years, defective products must be repaired or replaced without any cost to the consumer. This includes any shipping costs.

Hope this helps 🙂

0 Kudos
FotoDJ
Level 7

@Fellachap , thanks for the info. I'm currently being stonewalled,  and getting no response to enquiries. I've sent a further query, pointing out the time frames involved. The unit was only about a month old when I initiated the warranty request, and I have provided proof or purchase to them by email. Glad you got sorted in the end. It gives me hope of resolution!

0 Kudos
SASF180
Level 7

I too have had the same issue. I phoned I got put through to India. I was informed they do not offer the free post service for the uk.  I explained it was not right that I should pay for a return. She was rude to me. Hung the phone up.  I didn’t realise it was illegal to charge a delivery.  However I returned it a week ago and sent a follow up of status.  I’ve been ignored too.  Initially they replied quite promptly when I raised the issue of the remote I have with the soundbar just dying and becoming unresponsive after 6 weeks.  I’m hoping I get a new one returned soon as they promised. I took pictures as proof too. Awful customer service.  I don’t think I would buy again. Does anyone know if you can reclaim the postage charges? I may even contact consumer support in UK or a company called Resolve.  

0 Kudos
FotoDJ
Level 7

I've finally got a replacement, but ended up paying the carriage to return the faulty one. I had forgotten about Resolver, but They don't seem to have had dealings with Roku as yet. I would be interested to hear if you have success with them.

0 Kudos
SASF180
Level 7

I have just received an email, asking me for my tracking number so they can check if its been received. I'm thinking surely with having my details and RMA number this would be their tracking system.  I will let you know my outcome.  Glad you received yours back. I did check under the consumer act 2015, it does state the retailer is responsible for shipping costs, I went directly to Roku for assistance. I would definitely advise anyone who is under 6 months of having the product to go back to the retailer first and let them assist with the warranty. This company is shocking. 

0 Kudos